This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.Winter Pear, Pomegranate & Swiss Salad with homemade poppyseed dressing that will be right up your alley. But if you, like me, have an affinity for this wobbly, wonderful weirdness that is Jell-O, then please read on after the jump! If you are still with me, bless you. We must be kindred spirits. So, this Christmas Jell-O (as we affectionately call it in my family) is so fun to make and even more fun to eat. It’s three wonderful layers of flavor with a plain lime bottom layer, a plain cherry top layer, and a creamy, tangy middle layer of vintage Jell-O weirdness that is a combination of lemon Jell-O, crushed pineapple, marshmallows, cream cheese, and…wait for it…Miracle Whip. I KNOW, RIGHT?!?! It’s wild and zany but I’m just going to embrace the wackiness and confess that the middle layer is my favorite! The cream cheese adds depth and richness and the tang of the Miracle Whip actually helps cut the sweetness of the Jell-O. I know it sounds weird and maybe even awful, but it’s really not, I promise! And I really ought to stop apologizing for it because I truly do love it and haters gonna’ hate anyway, right? It’s like an Italian soda cherry limeade jell-o with the creamy middle and the cherry and lime top and bottom. An Italian soda cherry limemade that jiggles and isn’t really a proper salad but since it goes by that name you get to eat it with your dinner even though it probably falls more appropriately in the dessert category. So there! For reals though, it’s easy enough to make. You just prepare your bottom lime layer according to the package directions and let it set in the fridge until firm (by jell-o standards that is). Then you make a lemon jell-o and dissolve marshmallows, cream cheese, and Miracle Whip in it before adding some crushed pineapple and carefully pouring it over the lime layer. Then it goes back in the fridge until that layer is set. Lastly, you prepare a package of cherry jell-o and carefully pour that over the middle layer and refrigerate the whole thing until firm and ta-da! you have a wonderful, festive Jell-O perfect for Christmas dinner!
- 1 large box lime jello (or 2 small boxes)
- 1 large box cherry jello (or 2 small boxes)
- 1 small box lemon jello
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 large can crushed pineapple, drained
- Prepare lime jello according to package directions. Pour into a 9x13" glass baking dish or individual serving dishes (filling each only 1/3 of the way full) and refrigerate until set.
- Prepare the lemon jello by adding the powdered gelatin to one cup of boiling water and stirring to dissolve. Add marshmallows and stir until they dissolve as well, whisking if necessary. Whisk in the cream cheese and Miracle Whip, breaking up any clumps of cream cheese, until incorporated. Stir in the drained pineapple, then carefully pour over the set lime layer and return the jello to the refrigerate to set.
- Once the middle layer is firm, prepare the cherry jello according to package directions. Carefully pour over the middle layer of jello and return the dish to the refrigerator to set completely. Cut into squares and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 35Sodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 8gSugar: 5g