Grilled Summer Vegetable Quesadillas
These Grilled Summer Vegetable Quesadillas are an easy, healthy, and delicious vegetarian lunch or dinner and a great way to use up Summer's fresh produce!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 small zucchini sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 small summer squash sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper , quartered with seeds and stems removed
- 1 anaheim pepper quartered with seeds and stem removed
- 1 small red onion sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 large Portobello mushroom cleaned and sliced into ½-inch pieces
- ½ bunch asparagus ends trimmed
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 4-6 tortillas
- 1 ½ cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 ½ cups freshly grated pepperjack cheese divided
- Butter or oil for the pan
Heat grill (or grill pan if you do not have an outdoor grill) to medium-high heat. Be sure the grates are clean.
Wash and slice all vegetables. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer, then drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
Place all of the vegetables on the grill, laying them crosswise across the grates so they do not fall through. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes one each side, just until vegetables are tender. Since the vegetables cook at different rates, watch for them to char and get grill marks on the bottom before turning to cook the other side. Typically the asparagus cooks the quickest and the onions take the longest with the peppers and mushrooms somewhere in between.
Remove vegetables from the grill to a platter as they finish cooking, then cut each of the vegetables into roughly bite-size pieces.
Heat a griddle or pan to medium-high heat.
Assemble each quesadilla by dividing the veggies and cheese evenly between the tortillas. I find it easiest to do this in the hot pan rather than assembling on a plate and transferring the whole thing, with fillings falling out. Lightly oil or butter the griddle or pan, then place a tortilla on it and layer some of the cheese, the veggies, sprinkle with a little cilantro, then a little more cheese to half of each tortilla. Fold it over to close and cook for 3 minutes on each side, until the tortilla is toasted and crispy and the cheese is completely melted.
Slice and serve with sour cream and guacamole.
Calories: 519kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 867mg | Potassium: 594mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2072IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 730mg | Iron: 4mg