Cambodian Chicken Red Curry
Cambodian Chicken Red Curry, known as Somlar Kari Saek Mouan or sometimes Khmer Red Curry, is a rich, flavorful curry made with coconut milk, chicken, eggplant, green beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and a wonderful red curry paste called kroeung. It's similar to Thai red curry, but not as spicy.
Servings: 8 servings
Red Kroeung Paste
- 2 lemongrass stalks outer leaves discarded and tender insides roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves cut into thin strips (or the zest of two limes)
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh turmeric peeled and grated or finely minced (or 1 teaspoons of ground turmeric powder)
- 2 inches galangal peeled and grated or finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 bird's eye chili
- 5 large dried red peppers seeds and stems removed, rehydrated by soaking in hot water for 10 minutes (reserve ¾ cup of the water!)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6-10 Tablespoons red kroeung paste to taste
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs each cut into 2 pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 5-8 yardlong beans cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small eggplant also known as aubergine, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large white potato peeled, then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled, then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2-3 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 Tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3-4 cups water
In a large heavy bottomed dutch oven or pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the kroeung curry paste and stir for one minute.
Add the chicken and 1 cup of the coconut milk and stir to combine with the curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Add the onion, beans, eggplant, and potatoes and stir to combine.
Add the remaining coconut milk and water, along with the fish sauce, shrimp paste, palm sugar, and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high just until the liquid comes to a boil, then decrease to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
Serve with french bread, rice, or noodles.
Calories: 524kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 149mg | Sodium: 890mg | Potassium: 912mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 6185IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 4mg