Broccoli Cheese Soup
If you are obsessed with the Broccoli Cheese Soup at Panera Bread, this is the recipe for you! It's made from scratch with REAL actual cheddar cheese and lots of veggies, and it's incredibly satisfying!
Servings: 6 Servings
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon butter divided
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth plus up to 2 cups additional, if desired for a thinner soup
- ½ pound fresh broccoli about 3 cups, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup grated carrot 1-2 carrots depending on size
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese about 2 cups
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then saute the onion for 5-7 minutes until lightly caramelized. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Melt the remaining butter in the same pan, then whisk in the flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened to create a roux.
Slowly whisk in the half-and-half or whole milk. The mixture will thicken quickly. Whisk in the chicken broth, then bring to a simmer.
Add the broccoli, grated carrots, and reserved onions, then season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Remove 1-2 cups of the vegetable chunks and transfer to a blender. Cover the blender with a towel and blend to break up the chunks. Return to the pot of soup and stir to combine.
Reduce heat to low, then stir in the grated cheddar cheese until melted. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Recipe from The Fresh Cooky.
- Leftover soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days and reheated in the microwave.
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 1037mg | Potassium: 415mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4702IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 393mg | Iron: 1mg