There is perhaps nothing quite so delightful as a serving of warm Cherry Crisp with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top! The fruity filling is sweet and tart with the warm taste and crunchy texture of the oat crisp topping to balance every spoonful!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup salted butter softened
- ½ cup walnuts pecans, or slivered almonds (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour the cherry pie filling into an 8x8" baking dish, large skillet, or deep dish pie plate.
Combine oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter. Mash with a fork or with your hands until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the cherry pie filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until filling is bubbling and the top is golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream.
- Cherry Crisp with fresh or frozen cherries: Combine 4-5 cups pitted sweet cherries (about 2 ½ pounds) with ½ cup granulated sugar (if using sour or tart cherries, add an additional ¼ cup of sugar), 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and a pinch of salt, tossing to coat. Stir in ¼ cup water and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, then top with the crisp topping from above. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes. Cover the crisp with foil during the last 15-20 minutes so the cherries can cook through and soften without the crisp browning to, well, a crisp.
- You can easily double the recipe and make it in a 9x13-inch pan if you are serving to a larger group.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 273mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 599IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg