Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Rich, creamy Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix is perfect for keeping in your cupboard for whenever the craving for a warm treat hits you when the weather is chilly! It's also fantastic for gifting to friends, neighbors, or co-workers during the holiday season!
Servings: 24 servings
- 3 cups nonfat powdered dry milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder optional but so good!
- ¼ teaspoon fine grained salt
OPTIONAL: Toast the powdered milk. To do this, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread the powdered milk in a ¼-inch thick layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes. If it clumps up, which is likely, you may need to pulse the toasted powdered milk in a food processor so it is powdery again.
Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a large food processor. Pulse to evenly combine. This can also be done in a large bowl with a whisk, although you will want to sift through a fine mesh sieve so there aren't clumps. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4-6 months.
To make hot chocolate from the mix, add 4-6 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix to a mug and fill the rest of the way with about 1 cup of hot milk or hot water. Hot water works fine, but the hot chocolate won't be as creamy and rich. Top with marshmallows or whipped cream.
- Toasting the powdered milk is an idea I got from Alton Brown and I really do think it adds a richness and depth of flavor to the hot chocolate mix that isn't present otherwise.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix: Add 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon with the other hot chocolate ingredients.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix: Try finely crushing 8-10 peppermint candy canes and adding them to them mix for a minty flavor.
- For more flavor variations, try replacing 1 cup of the nonfat powdered dry milk with 1 cup of flavored powdered coffee creamer instead.
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 281mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 149IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 152mg | Iron: 1mg