Hearty and absolutely bursting with Cajun flavor, this Easy Gumbo Recipe is a family favorite comfort food! It starts with an authentic dark roux and is loaded with andouille sausage, chicken, and shrimp, as well as plenty of vegetables. Take your tastebuds on a trip to the Bayou with this easy Louisiana recipe!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 bunch celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 bunch green onions finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces Andouille sausages, sliced into ¼-inch thick discs
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- Cooked white rice for serving
Make the roux by combining the flour and oil in a large dutch oven or other large heavy-bottomed pot. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 30-45 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until dark brown, almost chocolate colored, and about cookie dough consistency. May need to add more oil or flour.
Brown the sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place them in an even layer and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, working in batches if needed. Use a fork to flip them. Transfer to a plate when done.
Deglaze the pan with ½ cup of the chicken broth, then pour this into the pot with the roux.
Add remaining broth, vegetables, parsley, and roux and stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the celery, peppers, and onions start to soften. Add cajun seasoning and stir.
Add sausages, chicken, and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm over white rice.
- Keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days or can be frozen for 2-3 months.
- Traditionally, you would do either a chicken and sausage OR a seafood gumbo with shrimp, crawfish, mini scallops, lump crab meat, etc. rather than combining them as I have done here. But I love all of the different textures and flavors of the different proteins combined.
Calories: 535kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 239mg | Sodium: 2151mg | Potassium: 578mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 876IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg