Homemade Apricot Pie has a perfectly sweet and tart jammy apricot filling inside a buttery, flaky crust. It's one of the best pie flavors of summer when apricots are in season!
Servings: 10 -12 servings
- 2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus extra for the work surface
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening chilled
- 12 Tablespoons salted butter cut into ¼-inch pieces and chilled
- 6-8 Tablespoons ice water
- 2 ½ to 3 pounds of apricots washed, pitted, and sliced into halves or quarters
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1 egg beaten
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or a food processor, cut the shortening and butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the ice water over the mixture. Using a fork, gently stir the water in to the flour mixture, then repeat with the remaining water, adding 2 additional tablespoons at a time until the dough starts to come together. Squeeze the dough together with your hands to form a large ball or clump. If it still isn't holding together, add a little more water.
Divide the dough into two even pieces. Turn each piece of dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten each into a disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour, then allow the chilled dough to sit on the counter for 10 minutes before rolling out.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out the bottom crust on a floured surface then transfer to a 9-inch regular pie plate.
Combine washed, pitted, and sliced apricots in a large bowl with the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Toss to evenly distribute the ingredients, then transfer to the prepared pie crust.
Roll out the top crust on a floured surface. If making a lattice crust, slice the dough into approximately 1-inch strips and lay half of them going one direction across the pie. Fold every other strip back halfway across the pie and lay another strip going the other direction perpendicular to the first rows of pie dough. Fold the strips back into place, then fold the alternate strips back over the strip you just laid down. Add another strip and continue folding back and replacing alternate strips of dough until you have a woven lattice crust. Or just go with a solid pie crust and cut a few slits in the top for venting.
Trim and fold the edges of the crust under, crimping the edges in a decorative fashion. Brush the crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse or granulated sugar.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling underneath. You may want to place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil under the pie for easy cleanup in case any of the juices bubble over. Also, be sure to check your pie partway through baking and cover the edges with a pie shield if they are getting too dark too quickly.
Cool for 4 hours to set up before slicing and serving.
- Apricots: These vary in size but you will need about 6 cups of fruit once it has been sliced.
- Sugar: If your apricots are on the tart side, you might want to add another ¼ to ½ cups of sugar. If your apricots are really naturally sweet already, you might want to decrease the sugar to ½ cup.
- Thickening: If you don't have cornstarch on hand or prefer not to use it, you could also thicken this pie with ¼ cup all-purpose flour tossed with the apricots instead.
- Freezing: You can assemble and freeze the unbaked pie for up to 2 months. To bake, place the pie straight from the freezer into the preheated oven and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Calories: 464kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 362mg | Potassium: 340mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 2629IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg