Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is going to be your new favorite go-to recipe. Throw macaroni noodles and a few other ingredients to an electric pressure cooker, cook to al dente perfection, then stir in cheese until everything is ooey-gooey and have everyone's family favorite comfort food in minutes. We are talking homemade macaroni & cheese in about the same time it takes to prepare the stuff from the blue box.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni 4 cups
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce optional. but it really just adds flavor and doesn't make it spicy
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup whole milk 2% or lower will work but the results won't be quite as good
- 2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese or Italian blend
- ½ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
Add the uncooked pasta, chicken broth, water, butter, hot salt, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot.
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. It will take a few minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, then it will start the cooking process.
Carefully do a quick release, then add the milk and 3-4 handfuls of the cheese. Stir well until the cheese has melted, then add another 3-4 handfuls of cheese and stir again. Repeat until all the cheese has been added and melted to create a creamy sauce. If needed, you can add another ½ cup of milk.
- If using all water instead of chicken broth, increase the salt to 1 teaspoon.
- You could even use half and half or cream for even richer, creamier macaroni and cheese.
- This is my most basic approach and the one I use most often, but you can make your Instant Pot mac and cheese a little extra by using other cheeses like gouda, provolone, monterey jack, colby jack, gruyere, and more.
- Keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop. You may need to add a splash or two of milk to loosen it up when reheating.
- I like adding leftover pulled pork, chopped bacon, kielbasa sausage, or other protein when I have it on hand to make this a more substantial meal.
Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 775mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 541IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 384mg | Iron: 1mg