Pepperoni Pizza Bake Recipe (Pizza Casserole)
Stretchy cheese, al dente pasta, and your favorite pizza toppings make this easy Pizza Casserole recipe a guaranteed winner with the family for a simple weeknight dinner. This recipe freezes great and leftovers are even better the next day.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked until al dente
- 1 pound lean ground beef (we use 85/15)
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) jar marinara sauce (we like Rao's)
- 1 (8-ounce) jar pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese or a combination of half mozzarella and half sharp cheddar
- 6 ounces pepperoni
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Cook pasta according to package instructions in 3-4 quarts of boiling water seasoned with 1 Tablespoon of kosher salt until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Brown meat with onions and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 5-7 minutes. Drain excess fat.
Add marinara sauce, pizza sauce, and oregano to the browned meat and vegetables. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
Layer half of the cooked pasta with half of the sauce, half of the cheese, and half of the pepperoni. Repeat.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is hot, melted, and bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Hostess at Heart.
- More Topping Ideas: Crumbled bacon, canadian bacon, ham, basil, thyme, oregano, pineapple, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, olives, etc. Basically any way you would top a pizza.
- Pasta Shapes: Fettucine, rigatoni, macaroni, farfalle, or egg noodle would all work.
- How to store: Store leftover casserole in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- How to freeze: Once cooled, freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 months. If freezing unbaked, you can cover with aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- How to reheat: Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave or covered with foil in a 325°F oven for 10-15 minutes until warm. To bake from frozen, bake at 350°F for 60 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes until heated through.
- Healthier version: If you want to cut back on the calories in this dish, try using ground turkey or a plant-based meat substitute in place of the ground beef and swap in turkey pepperoni for regular pepperoni. You could also use your favorite whole wheat pasta and double up on the veggies.
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 718mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 314IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 261mg | Iron: 2mg