Fresh Strawberry Frosting
This pretty-in-pink Fresh Strawberry Frosting is the best because it is made with real strawberries that are pureed and reduced to concentrate their bright, sweet flavor. It pipes well on cakes and cupcakes, but can also be used on brownies, macarons, and other desserts!
Servings: 2.5 cups
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract optional
Start by processing the strawberries in a food processor until pureed. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, cooking and stirring frequently until reduced by at least half to between ¼ and ½ cup. This usually takes around 10-15 minutes (a little on the longer side if using frozen strawberries). Cool completely before moving on. This step can even be done a day or two in advance.
In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until light and smooth.
Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, mixing until the butter and sugar start to come together, then add the remaining powdered sugar, vanilla, and coconut extract, if using, beating again until it starts to come together.
Add 4 tablespoons of the reduced strawberry puree, beating well until light and fluffy. If needed, add the remaining 1-2 tablespoons of strawberry puree to get the flavor and consistency you desire. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip to frost cupcakes or spread on a layer cake.
- I find that I never need to add any heavy cream or milk to this frosting recipe to make it spreadable or pipeable. But if you feel like it is still too thick, you can always add a couple teaspoons at a time.
- This frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Just thaw completely overnight in the fridge, then let it sit at room temperature for at least 1-2 hours before beating again to make it fluffy and spreadable, then using in whatever way you like.
Serving: 2Tablespoons | Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 82mg | Potassium: 20mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg