This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Puppy Chow (aka Chex Mix Muddy Buddies) is one of our favorite no-bake treats! The combination of peanut butter and chocolate covered Chex cereal that is then tossed in powdered sugar to coat every last piece is nearly irresistible!
I grew up enjoying puppy chow (for humans, not dogs) so it was a shock to me that my husband had never even heard of it until we started dating. He didn’t even know it by it’s other name – muddy buddies – which seems to be more commonplace on the West Coast as compared to the Midwest, which is why I spent most of my formative years.
Paul loves puppy chow so much that he decided years ago that he was going to take over as the head puppy chow maker in our household. Over the years, he has made adjustments to the recipe on the back of the Chex box and that’s the recipe I’m sharing today.
The secret to the best puppy chow ever is to use chunky peanut butter and to have a higher chocolate to cereal ratio than the original recipe called for. Also, to use lots of powdered sugar to make sure every last bit of the puppy chow is coated in a sweet dusting of sugar.
This puppy chow isn’t for dogs, it’s for you and what makes it even better is that it is a no-bake treat that you can whip up quickly and easily. Perfect for a fast way to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings or to get your kid comfortable with cooking in the kitchen.
What is puppy chow?
Puppy chow also known as muddy buddies, is a homemade treat that is popular in the United States. It’s a combination of cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar. With simple additions and changes, you can have it become a seasonal snack or leave it plain for any time of the year.
Puppy chow (aka Chex mix muddy buddies) may be forced to endure an unsavory name (seriously, who wants to eat something that sounds like it’s made for your pet?) But there is nothing unsavory about this dish. The combinations of salty, sweet and crunchy just make it so great you want to pop another handful in your mouth.
My secret to making this puppy chow recipe is to use chunky peanut butter and higher chocolate to cereal ratio than the original recipe. This really helps to hit that chocolate craving and gives a nicer texture to the finished cereal.
How to make puppy chow
- Melt the chocolate and peanut butter: Heat your chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a microwave (uncovered) and on high. Do it in 20-second bursts and stir in between so that nothing burns and everything can melt evenly. This should only take 60-90 seconds so you don’t have to wait long! Once it’s all melted, stir in the vanilla.
- Gently coat the cereal in the melted chocolate mixture: In a large bowl, have your cereal ready to go. Then pour the melted chocolate peanut butter mixture over the cereal and gently toss it to coat. Be careful not to stir too vigorously because you don’t want to crush the cereal. Think mid-way between stirring Rice Krispy treats and folding in egg whites in a cake recipe.
- Toss with lots of powdered sugar: After the cereal is evenly coated in chocolate, transfer it to a large 2-gallon Ziploc bag and add in the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and toss the chocolate covered cereal until it has been completely coated in powdered sugar.
Can you use different flavored Chex mix cereal?
You can! We always use plain rice Chex mix cereal, but you can certainly change it up a little and corn Chex or another flavored variety. With there being so many different flavor options available, you can mix it up and try them all to find your favorite flavor combination.
Can you freeze puppy chow/muddy buddies?
Assuming that you want to make it in advance or that you simply want to portion it out so that you don’t risk eating it all in one sitting (it’s THAT addicting!), you CAN store your puppy chow in a freezer by placing it inside of a Ziploc bag to keep it nice and fresh. Thaw or eat frozen (your choice).
Just make sure that you label the bag clearly and remember where you stored it within your freezer. You don’t want to accidentally forget it’s there and place something on top of the bag as that could crush the cereal!
If you like this puppy chow recipe and it’s October, you might also like my Halloween Chex mix muddy buddies!
More Easy Treat Recipes Like This!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Easy Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
- Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Cookie Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Best Homemade Granola Bars
- Christmas Pretzel Hugs
- Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
- Rocky Mountain Avalanche Bars
- Lucky Charms Snack Mix
- Oreo Truffles
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 cups rice Chex cereal
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in microwave uncovered on high in 20 second bursts, stirring between bursts, until melted. It usually takes around 60-90 seconds. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over the cereal in a large bowl and toss to coat. Be careful not to stir too vigorously and crush the cereal.
- Transfer to a large 2-gallon ziploc bag and add the powdered sugar. Seal bag and toss the chocolate coated cereal until it is all coated in powdered sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g