Your search for the ultimate moist cornbread recipe is over! This soft and slightly sweet cornbread is the best, most perfect cornbread ever. It's tender, not too cakey, and amazing with butter and dripping honey.
Perfect Moist Cornbread Recipe
This is the best, most perfect cornbread ever. I know that comes off all braggy and self-congratulatory, but it's worth it if it can get you to try this cornbread recipe that will forever solve your cornbread woes. You know, like the too dry or too crumbly or overly sweet woes.
This cornbread soft and subtly sweet without being too cake-like. And it's definitely not dry or dense like so many cornbread recipes tend to be.
I spent ages trying every cornbread recipe I could find and swapping out ingredients looking for one that wasn't too crumbly or overly sweet and finally fine-tuned my own cornbread recipe that I have stuck with for years now. And it's one of my most-requested recipes from friends and family, so it definitely had to be one of the first recipes to go up on the blog.
Cornbread isn't fancy, but man is it amazingly good stuff. Especially when you top it with butter and honey and eat it warm from the oven.
And we are lucky in our house because I prefer the outer edges with the extra bit of crust while Paul loves that middle piece.
I love cornbread with anything bbq (brisket! ribs! chicken! pork chops!) or enchiladas (is that a thing? cornbread and enchiladas? it's what my mom served when I was growing up, but that was in the midwest so I'm definitely not claiming any degree of authenticity as to whether that's a universally accepted combination. but whatever because it works and is amazing).
And of course, this is the perfect cornbread to paired with soup or a salad.
The girls love it, I love it, and even Paul, who wouldn't touch cornbread when we first got married since he thought all cornbread was dense and dry and yuck, now raves about how much he loves cornbread and always has a second slice.
And I'm positive that you will love it too.
How to Make the Best Moist Cornbread
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a large 9x13-inch rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add in the vegetable oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, and milk, and stir until combined.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, until your cornbread turns a golden brown. Remove it from oven and serve warm with butter and honey.
Can you substitute almond milk for milk in cornbread?
If you don’t have milk on hand, you can substitute with non-dairy milk or even water at the same ratio amount requested in the recipe. You may even choose to use buttermilk but it may change the desired flavor of your cornbread.
Why does my cornbread crumble?
Cornbread is naturally crumbly but if yours is more crumby than usual and feels like your eating sand, you may need a higher flour to cornmeal ratio to hold it together. But, if you followed this recipe, you should be fine. 😉
What do you serve cornbread with? Here are some favorite recipes!
- Texas Smoked Brisket
- Perfect Grilled Pork Chops with Sweet BBQ Rub
- Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken
- Slow Roasted Oven BBQ Beef Brisket
- Uncle Richard's Brown Sugar & Honey Smoked Baby Back Ribs
- Slow Cooker Little Smokies in Honey Garlic BBQ Sauce
- Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Perfect Moist Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large 9x13-inch rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add in the vegetable oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, and milk, and stir until just combined.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until the cornbread turns golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm with butter and honey.