This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
As long as you are grilling up the rest of your meal, why not make some rustic Grilled Garlic Bread to go with it! Buttery, garlicky, with a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped Italian parsley, this is one side dish that everybody will enjoy!
Dinner is always better with a good, garlicky piece of bread. Some of our other favorite options are Soft Garlic Parmesan Homemade Breadsticks, Cheesy Garlic Mozzarella Swirl Rolls, and Easy Rosemary Focaccia Bread.
Grilled Garlic Bread
Ah summer. I used to not be much of a summer person, if I’m being totally honest. The long, hot days always sapped me of my will to do much of anything. But living in the Bay Area has changed my attitude toward the sunniest season of the year.
We have hot days, to be sure, but lovely, cool evenings thanks to the breeze off the Bay. It makes for some pretty wonderful grilling weather.
The other week, we had friends over for a cookout where we enjoyed sliced watermelon, grilled lamb chops, a peach panzanella salad, and this grilled garlic bread. Our friends also brought a white jelly roll cake with buttercream, mini chocolate chips, and bananas in the center and it was delicious.
I have a long-standing love of warm, garlicky, carby goodness. Garlic breadsticks (why isn’t this recipe on the blog yet?!), garlic naan, cheesy garlic mozzarella swirl rolls, roasted garlic no-knead artisan bread? Yes, please! I really have to be careful making these sorts of yummy sides because when it comes to garlic bread and it’s cousins I have less self-control than I do with cookies, and that’s saying something.
Garlic Bread: Wrapped in Foil vs. Sliced & Toasted (or Grilled)
There are two main ways I typically make my garlic bread, and they both work in the oven as well as on the grill. Although it’s grilling season, so naturally we are cooking this garlic bread outdoors!
The first is to slice an entire loaf of Italian or French bread down the middle, slather it with butter, garlic, and Parmesan, then put the loaf back together with the buttered cut sides together, wrap it up in foil and cook until hot. It’s so good and chewy and buttery and soft!
But the other way, which is the approach I used here, is to first slice the bread into thick slices and butter and season it that way, then toast it on the grill or under the broiler. It results in a toastier, crispier bread with a little char around the edges.
Both approaches are absolutely delicious. I think I like the softer, chewier one best and Paul likes the toastier one best. Really though, it’s hard to go wrong and we take turns with each approach.
How to Make Grilled Garlic Bread on the BBQ Grill
- Slice a loaf of French bread into thick slices.
- Melt butter and mix in garlic powder, oregano, basil, and salt.
- Brush the butter mixture onto both sides of each slice of bread (or just go ahead and dip them for maximum coverage!).
- Grill for 1 to 3 minutes on one side, just until toasted. Watch carefully for flare-ups (a definite risk with this approach, but worth it!) because the bread can burn quickly.
- Flip and sprinkle the grilled side with Parmesan and fresh parsley.
- Grill until the Parmesan is melted and the bread is toasted on both sides.
More of Our Favorite Grilled Side Dish Recipes
- 1 loaf French bread sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine butter, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and salt in a shallow dish.
- Generously brush each side of the sliced bread with the garlic butter mixture, then grill on a hot grill over low heat for 1 to 3 minutes on one side until toasted. Watch carefully so as not to burn the garlic bread.
- Flip and immediately sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley. Grill for another 1 to 3 minutes on the second side until toasted and the cheese has melted. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 692mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g