Easy, kid-friendly, super convenient and healthy Breakfast Burritos are the perfect way to start off your day. Plus, they freeze well and heat up in minutes so you can always have them on hand if you are running out the door! Sorry Pop-Tarts, but these best breakfast burritos are the boss.
We love a good savory breakfast! Be sure to check out some of our other popular breakfast recipes like Green Chili Egg Casserole, Biscuits and Gravy Casserole, Smoked Salmon Scrambled Eggs, and Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches.
You'll love these Homemade Breakfast Burritos
I am most definitely a breakfast person. I don't skip it and I steadfastly live by the credo that it really IS the most important meal of the day.
Growing up, my mom made me and my 4 siblings the most delectable hot, glorious breakfasts of pancakes, eggs, sausages, muffins, waffles, french toast, biscuits (oh man my mom makes the most amazing baking powder biscuits), etc. every. single. day.
My mom has a master's degree in education and taught 1st grade for many years, and I suspect that one of the reasons she always made such great breakfasts for us was because she really believed in the energy it gave us for school, which was obviously super important. Cold cereal was a treat reserved for Saturday morning, as I recollect.
Now that my oldest is in Kindergarten (how?!), I find myself wanting to make sure she is filled up before school with something substantial in her tummy before I send her off to class. And since we have chickens, we always have fresh eggs on hand, so we tend to eat them almost every morning in one form or another.
Thank goodness we love eggs around here! And one of my favorite forms of serving eggs has to be in breakfast burritos.
It feels so good to get in a serving of vegetables FOR BREAKFAST in the morning (I'm all about this as you might remember from the carrot and zucchini loaded Morning Glory Muffins I posted about a while back), and it doesn't even feel like a chore when they are wrapped up in a crispy tortilla with a little bit of melty cheese and creamy avocado.
You can even double your batch and make extras to freeze and reheat quickly on days when you are running a little late.
Breakfast Burritos Recipe Ingredients
- Flour tortillas
- Oil - to be used for sauteing.
- Orange or yellow sweet mini peppers - I usually have a bag of these on hand but you can use whatever peppers you have. Just use half a regular red, yellow, or orange bell pepper instead.
- Green onions - to add flavor
- Eggs - can’t have a breakfast burrito without eggs!
- Sour cream - to be used in two places. Mix it in with the eggs but also use the sour cream in the filling of the burrito.
- Salt and pepper
- Diced ham - I love getting the breakfast cut ham "steaks" that are right next to the bacon in the grocery store, but if I had leftover ham I would use that.
- Shredded pepperjack cheese - you can use any cheese you want. A cheddar, monterey jack or a mexican cheese blend would all work.
- Avocado - diced and used inside the burrito.
- Oil - to be used for frying the burritos
Best Breakfast Burritos Recipe Variations
Now, this is recipe is written for my favorite flavor combination for breakfast burritos - mini sweet peppers, green onions, ham, and avocado with pepper jack cheese - but you could sub in whatever you have on hand or whatever sounds good to you.
- Go super traditional with crumbled bacon, sharp cheddar and caramelized onions.
- Or try a super savory version with some sauteed mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and swiss.
- You could go for a Southwest inspired breakfast burrito made with green chilies, chorizo and country potatoes.
- Use up leftover vegetables or meat from dinner the night before (grilled asparagus and salmon are so, so, so good when scrambled into eggs for breakfast).
- Don't let veggies go to waste - use whatever you happen to have rolling around in your crisper!
You can also adjust the kick of your breakfast burritos by adding a shake or two of tabasco sauce or a scoop of salsa or pico de gallo. So basically feel free to take this recipe and go crazy with it. I would love to hear your favorite versions in the comments!
Also, these are just as delicious with plain tortillas if you don't feel like frying them up. I just love the crispiness that the tortilla gets from the pan so that's what I do. If you haven't tried it, you should!
I just spray the pan with a little cooking spray or add a tablespoon of oil just to coat the bottom of the pan, and then I toast them, seam side down first and then rolling to hit the other sides.
If you decide to freeze a batch of burritos for the future, just make them to the point of frying and then wrap each burrito individually in parchment paper and freeze.
When you are ready to eat them, just unwrap them, microwave them for 2 minutes, and then quickly toast the outside in the pan.
How to make Breakfast Burritos
- Sautee Veggies. Heat a medium-size skillet over medium heat and add ½ tablespoon of oil. Add the chopped peppers and green onions. Season with a little salt, and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring every so often, just until they start to soften a bit. You can sub in whatever veggies you have on hand. Mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, asparagus, or green chilies are all delicious.
- Whisk Eggs. While the veggies are cooking, In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and 1 ½ tablespoons of sour cream. Whisk the eggs and sour cream together with a fork and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine eggs and veggies. Once the peppers and onions have softened, pour the egg mixture into the same pan. Add the ham and stir everything together. Stir and scramble the eggs until just set (about 3 minutes). Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- Soften Tortillas. To make the tortillas easier to work with you will need to soften them. Stack the tortillas between two barely damp paper towels and microwave on high for 30 seconds so they get warm and pliable.
- Form burritos. Working with 1 tortilla at a time on a clean surface, spread 1 tablespoon of sour cream down the middle of the tortilla, then top with ½ of the scrambled egg, pepper, and ham. Sprinkle ¼ of the shredded cheese and ¼ of the diced avocado over the eggs, then fold the tortilla over, tucking the edges in and rolling the tortilla on itself to form a tight burrito. Repeat for each burrito. These measurements don’t have to be exact; you can use whatever ratio of ingredients you want, just make sure you don’t put too much filling in because they will be too hard to fold up.
- Fry burritos. This step is optional and it is still delicious with just plain tortillas but I just love the crispness from frying the tortilla. It’s really pretty simple and doesn’t take much time. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, spray burrito with cooking spray or add enough oil to barely coat the bottom of the pan, about 1-2 tablespoons. Place each burrito in the pan, seam side down, and cook until golden brown (about two minutes per side). Turn the burrito as needed until evenly brown on all sides.
Our favorite way to eat the Best Breakfast Burrito
I am a breakfast person and never skip it! These breakfast burritos are a great way to get a bunch of veggies and protein in the morning. Really, you could use any combo of meat and veggies you want which makes these breakfast burritos so versatile! Top it off with cheese and sour cream or salsa and they’re delicious. They are also an easy on the go meal and can be frozen ahead of time. Just reheat and go!
How to store leftover Breakfast Burritos
How to make Homemade Breakfast Burritos ahead of time
You can prep and fill the burritos and store in the fridge or freezer. Wrap each burrito in tin foil, plastic wrap or parchment paper and then place in a ziploc bag. They will be good for up to a week in the fridge and up to two months in the freezer. Don’t forget to label the bag with a date to know how long they have been in the freezer.
The best way to reheat Breakfast Burritos
Remove the burrito from the tin foil, plastic wrap or parchment paper. Wrap the burrito in a damp paper towel and place on a microwave safe plate and cook on high for 2 minutes. If you want to re crisp the burrito just quickly toast the outside in a pan.
More Breakfast Recipes You'll Love
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
- Easy, Ultimate Breakfast Frittata
- Peppery Scrambled Macaroni & Eggs
- Smoked Salmon Scrambled Eggs
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Green Chili Egg Casserole
- Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage & Apples
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Homemade Breakfast Burritos Recipe
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3-4 red orange, or yellow sweet mini peppers, chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 4 eggs
- 5 ½ Tablespoons sour cream divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz. ham diced
- ½ cup pepperjack cheese shredded
- ½ Avocado diced
- 1-2 Tablespoons oil for frying
- Heat a medium-size skillet over medium heat and add ½ tablespoon of oil. Add chopped peppers and green onions, season with a little salt, and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring every so often, just until they start to soften a bit.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size bowl, combine eggs and 1 ½ tablespoons of sour cream. Whisk them together with a fork and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Once the peppers and onions have softened slightly, pour the egg mixture into the same pan. Add the ham and stir everything together, stirring and scrambling the eggs until just set (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- To form the burritos, first stack the tortillas between two barely damp paper towels and microwave on high for 30 seconds so they are warm and pliable.
- Working with 1 tortilla at a time on a clean surface, spread 1 tablespoon of sour cream down the middle of the tortilla, then top with ¼ of the scrambled egg, pepper, and ham. Sprinkle ¼ of the shredded cheese and ¼ of the diced avocado over the eggs, then fold the tortilla over, tucking the edges in and rolling the tortilla on itself to form a tight burrito. Repeat for each burrito.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, spray with cooking spray or add enough oil to barely coat the bottom of the pan, about 1-2 tablespoons. Place each burrito in the pan, seam down, and cook until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side), turning as needed until evenly browned all around.