This homemade Flood Mud Microwave Hot Fudge Sauce is such an easy recipe that you can make it in the microwave and have a thick, rich, chocolate-y topping for your ice cream sundaes, brownie sundaes, and banana splits in minutes!
Homemade Flood Mud Microwave Hot Fudge Sauce
This recipe came to me from my sister-in-law Deborah, who has been one of the biggest supporters of this blog since Day 1. She actually shared it with me over 10 years ago and it’s the recipe I have used to make hot fudge for ice cream sundaes ever since.
Deborah has some excellent recipes and I’ve already shared her knotted orange sweet rolls on here and I keep meaning to share her cream puffs as well but just haven’t gotten around to it.
You basically can’t have an ice cream sundae bar without this hot fudge sauce. And nothing, NOTHING from a jar compares to homemade. I promise I’m not typically a snob about stuff like that (well, maybe kinda a little bit but we’re playing things cool, m’kay?) but man, oh man, this blows store-bought hot fudge out of the water.
Pour this decadent hot fudge over a scoop of ice cream, sprinkle it with some nuts, then top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry for an old-fashioned ice cream sundae.
What’s the difference between hot fudge and chocolate sauce?
We all agree that chocolate syrup and hot fudge are two totally different things, yes? Just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page. The biggest differences are texture and flavor. Hot fudge is thicker and richer than chocolate sauce. That’s because hot fudge is made with heavier ingredients like butter, cream, or evaporated milk while chocolate syrup is made with water or corn syrup.
If you are looking for a delicious chocolate sauce though, I’ve got one that I use for the chocolate ripple in my caramel oreo fudge ripple ice cream recipe.
How long does homemade hot fudge last?
This flood mud hot fudge sauce will last for 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. This makes it a great hostess or neighbor gift idea.
Just know that when you refrigerate hot fudge, it will firm up. To loosen so the hot fudge is pourable again, just reheat in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds, giving it a stir partway through.
Ingredients in Homemade Hot Fudge
- semisweet chocolate chips
- unsweetened chocolate
- powdered sugar
- evaporated milk
If you don’t have unsweetened chocolate on hand, don’t sweat or run to the store. Just sub 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder and add 1 additional tablespoon of butter to the recipe and you are good to go!
How to Make Hot Fudge Sauce
- Place both types of chocolate and the cubed butter in a microwave safe bowl, then microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until the butter and chocolate are melted.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, evaporated milk, and vanilla, then cook for another 3 to 4 minutes in the microwave until thick and bubbly.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Thick, Fudgy, Chewy, Ultimate Brownies
- Raspberry Chocolate Tart
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Best One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Chocolate Crepes
- Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, evaporated milk, and vanilla, then microwave another 3 to 4 minutes until thick and bubbly.
This recipe came to me from my sister-in-law, Deborah, over 10 years ago!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 57mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 21g Protein: 2g
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #houseofnasheats and tag me (@houseofnasheats) so I can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!