Save time and dishes by making this juicy homestyle Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes in your Instant Pot electric pressure cooker! This family favorite meatloaf recipe is comfort food at its best except it’s faster, with less work and cleanup than the traditional approach!
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
My family loves meatloaf of any kind, whether it’s traditional or made smaller and quicker like these meatloaf hamburger patties that are one of my husband’s particular favorite meals I make.
Meatloaf is always a hit with everybody, and it’s one of those meals where the leftovers even taste amazing the next day. I don’t know about you, but my family members are somewhat picky about leftovers, which boggles my mind because I think leftovers are the best! But this is one dish that everybody is calling dibs on for lunch the next day.
This flavorful, juicy meatloaf is my new favorite because of how easy it is to make the whole dinner in the Instant Pot! To be completely honest, I’m still not 100% sold on the Instant Pot. I mean, I definitely love it for charro beans (any beans really) and I also think it makes the best brown rice, but cooking with my Instant Pot still intimidates me.
But I’m working on using it more and getting more comfortable with it, and this is one of those easy recipes that definitely makes me feel the love for this appliance that everybody else is already obsessed with.
Freaky Friday Summer Edition
I’m excited to be participating in another round of the Freaky Friday blogger event hosted by Michaela from An Affair from the Heart!
I always look forward to the Freaky Friday blog swap! It’s where a group of my blogging friends are secretly assigned another blog and asked to recreate a recipe from that blogger’s site. Then we all post on the same day! My past Freaky Friday posts have brought you an Asparagus Tart and Philly Cheesesteak Dip.
For this summer edition of the blog swap I was assigned Debra from Bowl Me Over. Debra is another California transplant, like me, and she has some phenomenal-looking recipes on her blog.
I was immediately drawn to all of her Instant Pot recipes! Debra has a fabulous Instant Pot quick reference guide that was so helpful since I’m still so relatively new to using an Instant Pot. And her pressure cooker barbecue pork ribs and Instant Pot chili con carne sound amazing. So do her beef tips with gravy that are made in the Instant Pot.
But I just had to go with her Instant Pot meatloaf because it’s such a family favorite that I knew everybody would love!
I switched things up just a bit by adding potatoes to cook at the same time, but otherwise stuck with her meatloaf recipe which combines ground beef and Italian sausage, which was absolutely delicious!
Instant Pot Meatloaf Ingredients
- ground beef
- Italian sausage
- parmesan cheese
- tomato juice
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- yellow onion
- salt, pepper
How to Make Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Make and shape the meatloaf: Mix all the meatloaf ingredients together in a large bowl until combined. I find it easiest (albeit it messiest) to do by hand. Pat it into a round loaf that will fit inside your instant pot.
- Make an aluminum foil “pan” for your meatloaf: Set the meatloaf onto two large pieces of aluminum foil that have been doubled up and fold up the sides of the foil to create a little pan for cooking the meatloaf. Be sure the sides are tall enough to contain the fat that will cook out of the meatloaf.
- Add potatoes & water to the instant pot: Cut up potatoes and add them, along with one cup of water and a little salt, to the bottom of the instant pot, then set the wire rack that came with the instant pot on top of the potatoes to create a stable surface for the meatloaf.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes: Set the meatloaf in it’s aluminum foil wrapping on top of the wire rack over the potatoes, then secure the lid of the instant pot and make sure the pressure release valve is set to the closed position before cooking on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes: Once the timer beeps, leave the Instant Pot alone to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Use a basting tool to remove the juices from around the meatloaf inside the foil wrapper, then carefully remove the meatloaf from the Instant Pot.
- Make the meatloaf sauce: Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, then pour over the meatloaf and stick it under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes to caramelize a bit.
- Mash the potatoes: Add the milk and butter to the potatoes and mash them to your desired consistency.
Can meatloaf be made in advance?
One of the great things about meatloaf is you can make it well ahead of time and just stick it in the fridge until you are ready to cook dinner. Just mix everything up and shape the meatball into a loaf, then wrap it in plastic wrap until ready to use. You can even freeze the uncooked meatloaf for up to 3 months, then let it thaw in the fridge overnight before cooking it the next day.
What kind of meat is best for meatloaf?
For this meatloaf recipe, we are using half ground beef and half Italian sausage. I love the extra flavor that Italian sausage gives to the meatloaf, but you could use all ground beef, or a combination of ground beef with ground pork or ground turkey.
Higher fat ground meat, like ground chuck, makes a better, juicier meatloaf, but it also has more calories and releases more fat while the meatloaf is cooking.
Oven Baked Meatloaf
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you could always make this exact same meatloaf recipe in the oven by shaping the meat mixture into a loaf and baking it on a baking sheet at 375 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes until it reaches 160 degrees F when tested with a digital meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf.
Slow Cooker Meatloaf
This meatloaf recipe can also be made in the slow cooker by cooking on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
More Classic Family Dinner Recipes
- Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Chicken Noodle & Dumpling Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- The BEST Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Homemade Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Pasta Skillet
- Sauerkraut and Sausages with Apples
- Best Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- And see all my DINNER RECIPES here!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage mild or spicy, use your favorite!
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp parsley minced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tbsp brown sugar I like a sweet sauce topping my meatloaf. If you like it not so sweet, reduce to 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk (or half & half for even creamier, richer potatoes)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl, mixing until incorporated but taking care not to overmix the meat. Shape into a round loaf that will fit inside the Instant Pot.
- Arrange the quartered potatoes in the bottom of the Instant Pot, then set the wire rack over them. Add the chicken broth to the potatoes.
- Create an aluminum foil "pan" for the meatloaf by layering two sheets of foil on top of each other, then placing the meatloaf mixture on the center of the foil and wrapping the foil up around the sides to create a pan that is tall enough to catch the fat and juices from the meatloaf as it cooks.
- Set the meatloaf in its wrapper on the wire rack over the potatoes. Place the Instant Pot lid on and turn to seal, then cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural release. Do a quick release by turning the steam release knob to the vent position to release any remaining pressure. Check the meatloaf with a digitial meat thermometer inserted into the center to make sure it has reached 160 degrees F. If not, put the lid back on the Instant Pot and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Suction out the drippings from around the meatloaf using a baster and discard, then carefully remove the meatloaf in it's foil pan from the Instant Pot and transfer to a baking sheet. Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl, then spread over the top of the meatloaf. Broil for 2-3 minutes until caramelized on top.
- Finish the potatoes by adding the butter, milk (or half & half), sour cream, and salt, and mashing to your desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
Recipe slightly adapted from Bowl Me Over. Her cooking time is 45 minutes followed by a quick release, but I think the shorter cooking time with a longer natural release approach works just as well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 620 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 156mg Sodium: 1270mg Carbohydrates: 51g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 11g Protein: 34g
Take a look at all of our Summer 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart –Summer Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Poppy Seed Dressing
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Greek Chicken Salad with Lemon Oregano Dressing
- Bowl Me Over – Mexican Coleslaw
- Hostess at Heart – Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- House of Nash Eats – Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Easy White Pizza Tarts
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Thai Shrimp Curry
- Take Two Tapas – Caprese Empanadas
- The Speckled Palate – Cherry Bourbon Slush
- West Via Midwest – Cornbread Tamale Pie
- Who Needs a Cape? – Warm Bean Dip a.k.a. Texas Trash
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #houseofnasheats and tag me (@houseofnasheats) so I can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!