Everybody's favorite chocolate hazelnut spread hardens into a delicious ice cream topping in this 2-ingredient Nutella Magic Shell. It's a fun and simple way to take your favorite frozen desserts to the next level.
Double the Nutella love by drizzling this magic shell over a scoop of ice cream on top of Gooey Swirled Nutella Brownies for a brownie sundae that is out-of-this-world!
If you have got a Nutella lover at your house, they are going to go crazy for this Nutella magic shell. It's easy to make in just a few minutes and perfect over chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ice cream. Add some finely chopped hazelnuts for crunch if you like, and you have a homemade dessert that will impress guests and feels much more special than a plain old bowl of ice cream. Sprinkle with some chopped hazelnuts for even more nutty crunch.
Why this Recipe Works
- Freezes in seconds! If you just drizzle regular Nutella over ice cream it gets a fudgy sort of texture, but melting it with a little coconut oil means it can be drizzled in a thin layer that hardens once it hits the cold ice cream.
- Keeps well for a month. We like to store our homemade magic shell in a jar in the cupboard for up to a month so it's ready anytime a craving for ice cream hits.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you'll need for this recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Nutella: Really any chocolate hazelnut spread (or similar spreads like cookie butter or peanut butter) will work, but Nutella is the most well-known and the one we buy in bulk from Costco so we always have some on hand.
- Coconut oil: We recommend using refined coconut oil which has less coconut aroma or taste compared to unrefined coconut oil.
How to Make This Recipe
Combine the Nutella and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave 1 minute. Stir well until the coconut oil has melted and combined with the nutella in a smooth, pourable liquid form. If it is very warm, let it cool down to about room temperature before drizzling over your ice cream so it doesn't melt the ice cream too much.
Store any uneaten Nutella magic shell in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month. Do not refrigerate.
If the magic shell is too thick to pour or separates, simply reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and stir well until combined and thin enough to pour again.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Nutella Magic Shell
- ½ cup Nutella
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil
- Add the Nutella and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Melt them together in a microwave for about 1 minute. Stir well until smooth and combined.
- Top your favorite ice cream with the magic shell and allow the shell to set for a few seconds before enjoying. If you want to top with chopped hazelnuts, sprinkle them on right after drizzling the magic shell before it has a chance to set.
- Storage: Keep any unused magic shell in a jar or other airtight container at room temperature. Do not refrigerate. If needed, reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and stir well to thin out before using.