Quick and easy weeknight dinners that are also healthy make this mom happy! Topped with crispy wonton strips, this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is so easy to throw together, and the whole family will love it! It's also a great meal prep recipe for lunches throughout the week.
Light and healthy dinners are essential to keep in your recipe rotation! We also love to make these Asian Lettuce Wraps which are perfect for spring and summer, and if you're firing up the grill this weekend, check out our Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers!
Have you tried this viral recipe yet? Egg Roll in a Bowl has been cropping up everywhere for the past few years and it makes complete sense why! It's healthy, quick to make, and can easily be adapted to a ton of different diets like low carb, keto and it's also gluten-free when you skip the wonton strips and use gluten-free soy sauce!
To make my own version of Egg Roll in a Bowl, I went back to my tried and true Homemade Egg Rolls recipe. I love making this recipe as an appetizer or for parties as the flavors just pop and the added crunch is so addictive.
I deconstructed the homemade egg rolls, but I didn't want to miss out on that wonton crunch. Easy fix: add wonton strips on top! Some grocery stores will carry them, but you can easily make your own at home as well.
This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl is perfect for quick and easy weeknight dinners if you have a busy schedule like we do. It's made from scratch with mostly vegetables and meat (meaning it's pretty healthy as well) and on the table in just 30 minutes. I'll often make a double batch and have the rest for lunch throughout the week. I never get tired of Egg Roll in a Bowl!
Egg Roll in a Bowl Ingredients
- Ground meat: Either ground pork or ground beef are great in this recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl!
- Red onion: You could also use white or yellow onion, but I enjoy the sweetness the red onion adds.
- Garlic: Simple minced garlic is a staple in Asian cuisine.
- Ginger: I kept it simple by using ground ginger, but if you have fresh on hand that could be used as well.
- Soy sauce: Adds saltiness and enhances all of the other flavors so well.
- Coleslaw mix: I love adding this pre-made mix as it cuts prep time in half!
- Water chestnuts: For a little texture, crunchy water chestnuts give a little bite while taking on all of the other flavors.
- Sesame oil: This simple and nutty oil isn't cooked, but added later to retain it's amazing aroma.
- Rice wine vinegar: A touch of vinegar balances out all of the sweet and savory tastes in this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe.
- Sriracha: For a kick of spice, we mix in sriracha!
- Mayonnaise: For the Egg Roll in a Bowl sauce, we mix mayo with sriracha and a pinch of salt. This is drizzled over everything when you're ready to serve.
- Garnishes: Green onion brings in a delicate freshness, and we add sesame seeds and wonton strips for crunch! Garnishes are optional, but I really recommend at least the green onion and wonton strips!
How to Make a Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Cook the meat. Firstly, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ground pork and onion, breaking up the pork, until browned and the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 30-60 seconds.
- Mix in other ingredients. Secondly, add the ginger and soy sauce, stirring to distribute, and then add the bag of coleslaw and water chestnuts. Cook and stir until the cabbage has cooked down a bit, then drizzle with the sesame oil, vinegar, and sriracha, stirring to mix everything together.
- Whip up the sriracha mayo. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the sriracha.
- Garnish & serve! Divide the egg roll mixture between four pasta bowls, then drizzle with the sriracha mayo. Sprinkle the Egg Roll in a Bowl with the sliced green onions, sesame seeds, and wonton strips just before serving.
What to serve with Egg Roll in a Bowl
This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is delicious on its own, but here are some toppings and sides to try with it:
- Green onion
- Sesame Seeds
- Crispy wonton strips
- Sliced red chilis
- Garlic Rice with Fried Egg
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- White rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- Lettuce leaves to make lettuce wraps
Storage and freezing instructions
To store, allow everything to cool completely and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Store the garnishes and sriracha mayo separately. Reheat it in a pot on the stove or in the microwave. You can also eat it cold over salad!
Freeze this Egg Roll in a bowl recipe in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating.
Is Egg Roll in a Bowl keto-friendly?
Yes! To make this Egg Roll in a Bowl keto friendly, just skip the wonton strips, and to reduce the carbs even more, use a sugar-free hot sauce instead of sriracha.
More Asian-Inspired Dinner Recipes Like This
- Easy, Classic Chinese Beef with Broccoli
- Korean Beef Tacos (Bulgogi)
- The BEST Orange Chicken
- Better Than Take Out Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork
- Cambodian Chicken Red Curry [Somlar Kari Saek Mouan]
- Easy Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Easy Chicken & Vegetable Stir-Fry
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground pork or ground beef
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 14 ounces coleslaw mix
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons sliced green onions
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Wonton strips for garnish
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
- Pinch of salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the ground pork and onion, breaking up the pork, until browned and the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 30-60 seconds.
- Add the ginger and soy sauce, stirring to distribute, then add the bag of coleslaw and water chestnuts. Cook and stir until the cabbage has cooked down a bit, then drizzle with the sesame oil, vinegar, and sriracha, stirring to mix everything together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the sriracha.
- Divide the egg roll mixture between four pasta bowls, then drizzle with the sriracha mayo. Sprinkle with the sliced green onions, sesame seeds, and wonton strips just before serving.