Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwiches are deliciously spicy with a crispy, blackened crust that forms around the juicy, tender chicken breast when seared over high heat. Then you sandwich the chicken between soft, toasted buns with cool and crispy lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions for a fabulous alternative to your standard burger fare!
Remember when I posted about my favorite Grilled Cajun Chicken Dry Rub Seasoning and the incredible Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad I made with it? Well I’m back with another delicious way of spicing up your menu with this fantastic Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwich that is perfect for grilling season! It’s really such a simple idea, but so incredibly good that I had to share it!
I mean, it’s hard to go wrong with you start with the juiciest, most perfectly cooked grilled Cajun chicken ever, but then putting it between some soft, toasted buns with thick slices of juicy summer tomatoes, cool, crisp lettuce, and thinly sliced red onion, it is just unbelievably delicious. I love hamburgers and all, but it’s fun to change up your backyard grilling game every now and then with something less expected.
My secret to making these grilled Cajun chicken sandwiches extra delicious is to pull out my griddle or frying pan to toast the buns, rather than just toasting them on the grill like I do when making hamburgers. Spread about a teaspoon of mayonnaise on both the top and bottom buns and toast them over medium heat on the griddle or in the frying pan until they turn golden brown, much like when you toast a grilled cheese sandwich. Then add your chicken and sandwich toppings, including some additional mayonnaise or Cajun aioli, just before eating.
It’s so, SO good. Seriously, it might sound weird to use mayo instead of butter for toasting your buns if you have never done it before, but you’ve got to try it because it’s fantastic, especially with a grilled Cajun chicken sandwich.
If you wanted, you could add a slice of Pepperjack or Monterey Jack cheese over each chicken breast in the last minute or so of cooking. And I’m positive a couple of strips of rich, crispy bacon on these wouldn’t hurt anything. I tend to keep my sandwich pretty simple, but that doesn’t mean you have to!
Serve this with some fresh squeezed homemade lemonade and you are ready for summer!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 large hamburger buns
- Lettuce, washed and dried
- Tomato, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- 4 slices Pepperjack or Monterey Jack Cheese, optional
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet or large dish and pat dry. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and rub the chicken to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle half of the spice mixture over the tops of the chicken breasts, turn the chicken over, and sprinkle the remaining half of the spice mixture on the bottom side of each breast so the chicken is evenly coated in Cajun seasoning.
- Place the chicken breasts directly over the heated side of the grill and grill for about 5-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken, until the internal temperature of the breasts reach 160 degrees using an instant read meat thermometer. You can also check whether the chicken is done by making a small cut into the thickest part to see if it is opaque in the center, or pressing on the thickest end of the chicken with your finger to see if there is any resistance. If there is no resistance, the chicken is done. Remove from the grill and rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large pan or griddle over medium heat. Separate the top and bottom buns and spread the cut sides of each bun with a little mayonnaise. Lay each bun mayonnaise side down in the pan or on the griddle, working in batches as necessary, and cook until toasty, then remove to a plate.
- Prepare each sandwich with a toasted bun, 1 grilled Cajun chicken breast, and slices of lettuce, tomato, and onion, along with additional mayo or aioli. You could also add cheese if you would like. Serve immediately!
You can make your own Cajun seasoning at home using ingredients already in your cupboard with my favorite Cajun seasoning blend.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 97mg Sodium: 287mg Carbohydrates: 1g Protein: 31g