Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwiches are deliciously spicy with a crispy, blackened crust that forms around the juicy, tender chicken breast when seared over high heat. Then you sandwich the chicken between soft, toasted buns with cool and crispy lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions for a fabulous alternative to your standard burger fare!
When it comes to grilling season, think outside the burger! Some of our other favorite grilling recipes are Smoked Pulled Pork, Sriracha Mayo Marinated Grilled Lamb Chops, and Easy Grilled Shrimp Skewers.
Remember when I posted about my favorite Grilled Cajun Chicken Dry Rub Seasoning and the incredible Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad with Creamy Cajun Dressing I made with it?
Well I'm back with another delicious way of spicing up your menu with this fantastic Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwich that is perfect for grilling season! It's really such a simple idea, but so incredibly good that I had to share it!
I mean, it's hard to go wrong with you start with the juiciest, most perfectly cooked grilled Cajun chicken ever, but then putting it between some soft, toasted buns with thick slices of juicy summer tomatoes, cool, crisp lettuce, and thinly sliced red onion, it is just unbelievably delicious.
I love hamburgers and all, but it's fun to change up your backyard grilling game every now and then with something less expected.
My secret to making these grilled Cajun chicken sandwiches extra delicious is to pull out my griddle or frying pan to toast the buns, rather than just toasting them on the grill like I do when making hamburgers.
Spread about a teaspoon of mayonnaise on both the top and bottom buns and toast them over medium heat on the griddle or in the frying pan until they turn golden brown, much like when you toast a grilled cheese sandwich. Then add your chicken and sandwich toppings, including some additional mayonnaise or Cajun aioli, just before eating.
It's so, SO good. Seriously, it might sound weird to use mayo instead of butter for toasting your buns if you have never done it before, but you've got to try it because it's fantastic, especially with a grilled Cajun chicken sandwich.
If you wanted, you could add a slice of Pepperjack or Monterey Jack cheese over each chicken breast in the last minute or so of cooking.
And I'm positive a couple of strips of rich, crispy bacon on these wouldn't hurt anything. I tend to keep my sandwich pretty simple, but that doesn't mean you have to!
Serve this with some fresh squeezed homemade lemonade and you are ready for summer!
More Chicken Recipes To Change Things Up
- Chicken Salad Recipe
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Madeira
- BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Chicken & Poultry
Grilled Chicken Shawarma Wraps
Chicken & Poultry
Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
Chicken & Poultry
Smoky Chicken Tinga Tacos
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 large hamburger buns
- Lettuce, washed and dried
- Tomato, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- 4 slices Pepperjack or Monterey Jack Cheese, optional
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet or large dish and pat dry. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and rub the chicken to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle half of the spice mixture over the tops of the chicken breasts, turn the chicken over, and sprinkle the remaining half of the spice mixture on the bottom side of each breast so the chicken is evenly coated in Cajun seasoning.
- Place the chicken breasts directly over the heated side of the grill and grill for about 5-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken, until the internal temperature of the breasts reach 160 degrees using an instant read meat thermometer. You can also check whether the chicken is done by making a small cut into the thickest part to see if it is opaque in the center, or pressing on the thickest end of the chicken with your finger to see if there is any resistance. If there is no resistance, the chicken is done. Remove from the grill and rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large pan or griddle over medium heat. Separate the top and bottom buns and spread the cut sides of each bun with a little mayonnaise. Lay each bun mayonnaise side down in the pan or on the griddle, working in batches as necessary, and cook until toasty, then remove to a plate.
- Prepare each sandwich with a toasted bun, 1 grilled Cajun chicken breast, and slices of lettuce, tomato, and onion, along with additional mayo or aioli. You could also add cheese if you would like. Serve immediately!
Reader questions and reviews
I am so happy I found this recipe. I never think of having a grill chicken sandwich whenever I cook chicken, and end up just having it plain but oh my gosh the cajun spices with mayo and cheese with a soft bun! I am so inspired now to have this for dinnner!! 😀
So glad I could help! Yeah, this is one of my favorite ways to break out of a rut!
I love cajun chicken and these sandwiches look tasty - with the fresh salad, they sound perfect for summer!
This sounds very tasty, simple and quick. Perfect for a warm spring or summer night.
You had me a cajun!!! This sandwich is right up my alley!!
These look so amazing. I love the idea of toasting the buns with mayo on the griddle - never thought of that!
Stop it! This is making me so hungry! I haven't had a grilled chicken sandwich like this in forever but they are so good. I want this for lunch!
My mouth is actually watering right now! I used to work at a restaurant that made cajun chicken sandwiches and they were such a nice change from the regular same-old-same-old. I can't wait to grill these soon!!
Wow! Thanks for sharing this delicious Grilled Cajun Chicken Sandwiches this is perfect for our burger Sunday. We try different burgers but never grilled the Chicken and now I am excited to try this.
Can't wait to grill this! We like spicy and this looks delicious. The toasted buns on the griddle make it even better.
YES....grilling season (will get here eventually). This is a great change of pace from burgers. Love the seasoning....would work great on salmon too.
Yes, I love this rub on salmon as well!
OMG, these look amazing. The chicken looks so juicy!!
OMG! Outrageously delicious! And easy too! A little too spicy for the little ones, but I added extra heat to the cajun seasoning because my husband and I like things hot. Don't skip the mayo on the buns- it pulls the whole thing together! Perfect summertime dinner!
Thank you for commenting, Sarah! I'm so glad you loved these because they are one of our favorites as well and don't get the attention they deserve on my site! 🙂
Your Cajun spice blend is my go-to mix and I have tried many different ones. Since different family members like different amounts of seasoning, I leave out the salt in the mix. That way I can salt the chicken on its own but then put however much spice blend each person likes. Works great! I make the blend so often I printed out the ingredients real small and taped it to the jar I use so it is easy to make a new batch. 😉 We used to regularly get the Cajun Chicken Sandwich at Silver Spoon Cafe back in the day and this sandwich is the closest to it. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! I'm so glad you like this spice blend! It's one of our favorites as well!