This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad is the perfect summer dinner loaded with barbecued chicken, bacon, hard boiled egg, avocados, and more, on top of crispy romaine lettuce.
We love a good dinner salad, especially when the weather is hot! Some of our other favorites are Tex-Mex Doritos Taco Salad, Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad with Creamy Cajun Dressing, and BLT Pasta Salad.
BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad
This bbq chicken cobb salad is one of my go-to recipes each summer when the days get long and hot, and I find that there are days when I just. cannot. cook. The idea of turning on gas burners on the stovetop when it is 100+degrees outside just starts to bum me out.
Plus, we are often trying to beat the heat by spending all afternoon at the splash pad or pool and getting back home starving and impatient for dinner, so I’m also looking for something fast.
This super satisfying bbq chicken cobb salad is easily one of my favorites. It is so fresh and simple and easy to pull together but it looks and tastes like wayyyyyy more effort went into it. It is loaded with proteins of bbq’d chicken, crumbled bacon and hard boiled egg and healthy fat with avocados on top of cold, crispy romaine lettuce, so it is super filling but also fresh and refreshing.
And what is even better is that as long as you think a tiny bit ahead, there is no cooking required on the day you make it. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.
Like a lot of people, we like to grill or use our smoker during the summer, and bbq chicken is one of our favorite meals to make when we are grilling. So whenever we are making bbq chicken for dinner, I cook a few extra pieces of chicken and put them in the fridge for use later in the week in this salad.
Leftovers don’t taste like leftovers when you turn them into a totally new meal. And when it means I only have to do the cooking one time and I get more dinners out for the effort, well that’s a definite win in my book.
The same goes with the bacon for this salad – I just do a few extra slices if I am already making bacon for breakfast and save them so that all I have to do is chop them up and use them in the salad.
And hard boiled eggs are great to keep in the fridge during the summer for quick lunches or snacks (egg salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, or just plain), so those are usually already prepared as well.
Of course, all of these components can be easily made the night you want to have this bbq chicken cobb salad for dinner, and I have done that too. But man is it convenient to pull this together when you have most of the prep-work done with other meals.
I didn’t include measurements in this recipe because it really just depends on how many people you are serving, but for our family of 2 adults and 2 kids, 1 head of romaine lettuce, a couple of chicken thighs, a few strips of bacon and a couple of eggs are plenty.
Since there are so many salad toppings, you don’t need a ton of each ingredient to have a really full plate.
And you can always sub out ingredients for whatever you have on hand – green onions instead of red, bleu cheese instead of cheddar, etc. I hope you try it and if you do, let me know what you think in the comments below!
More salad recipes you’ll love
- Spring Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Watermelon Basil Feta Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad
- Persimmon, Pomegranate, and Spinach Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Poppy Seed Dressing
- Asian Slaw with Ginger Peanut Dressing
- Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese & Pistachios
- Classic Frog Eye Salad
- Olive Garden Salad Dressing Recipe
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups BBQ chicken (we especially like thigh meat for this salad), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled into bite-size pieces
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup Ranch or bleu cheese dressing
- Wash the lettuce and pat dry with paper towels. Then chop the lettuce into bite-size pieces and arrange on large individual serving plates. Prepare remaining ingredients by chopping the bbq chicken, bacon, avocado, eggs, tomoatoes and onions and grating the cheese.
- Arrange remaining salad components on top of the lettuce in rows with the chicken, hard boiled egg, bacon, and avocado as the middle rows and the tomatoes, onions, and cheese toward the outer edges of the salad. Serve with ranch dressing drizzled over the top or served on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1088Saturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 381mgSodium: 1379mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 14gSugar: 8gProtein: 41g