A summer potluck favorite, this fresh Watermelon Basil Feta Salad in a honey lime vinaigrette is a simple, refreshing summer side dish that is just the thing to serve with dinner on a hot August day.
Looking for summer side dish recipes? Be sure to also check out our Strawberry Spinach Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing, Summer Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Poppy Seed Dressing, or Creamy Grape Salad.
We eat a LOT of watermelon at our house during the summer. It's right up there next to peaches and cantaloupe for being a favorite summer fruit for our family and my girls will easily manage a half a watermelon on their own in just one sitting.
I always have the best luck picking out watermelon at the farmer's market. They are always so flavorful and delicious!
Although we were surprised the other week when I must have picked out a watermelon from a different pile than I normally do because when we got it home and sliced into it, the flesh was yellow inside! Like bright, sunshine yellow!
It tasted just like regular red watermelon and we ate the whole thing, but it was a bit shocking!
I wanted to do something a little different than just plain old wedges of watermelon with dinner the other week, so I threw together this easy watermelon basil feta salad that is an amazing thirst-quencher.
The cucumber adds crunch and crispness to the sweet, cold watermelon, and the red onion and feta balance everything well with a savory element.
In all honesty, my kids picked out the onions, but I thought they were wonderful. And the fresh basil ties it all together with it's bright, wonderful flavor.
But the upside is that it is so easy to throw together that if you keep the ingredients separate, it's easy to toss together for a potluck or other group gathering where you need to take a salad during the summer.
Be sure to keep scrolling past the recipe to see some of the other Farmer's Market inspired recipes shared by some of my food blogging friends today for Farmer's Market Week.
More Refreshing Salad Recipes
- Peach Panzanella Salad
- Grilled Corn Salad
- Spring Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Olive Garden Salad Dressing Recipe
- Creamy Grape Salad
- Cottage Cheese Jello Salad
- Fruit Salad with Marshmallows and Whipped Cream
- Summer Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Poppy Seed Dressing
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Watermelon Basil Feta Salad
- 4 cups watermelon cubed
- ¼ small red onion sliced
- 1 English cucumber cut in half lengthwise and sliced into half-circles
- ½ cup feta cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves sliced into thin strips
Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Combine the watermelon, red onion, and cucumber in a large bowl.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, then drizzle over the watermelon salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the salad with the feta cheese and fresh basil, then toss again gently and serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.