This gluten-free, low-carb and Whole 30 compliant dish is a perfect weeknight meal when you don’t want to stand over the stove cooking dinner. Once all the ingredients are chopped and tossed together, you just spread them in a baking pan and roast them for thirty minutes! One Pan Roasted Peppers, Onions, & Sausages is a healthy and versatile dinner, and your whole family will love it!
One Pan Roasted Peppers, Onions, & Sausages
Every time I make this dish, I love it more and more (and I make it on a regular basis, so….). Roasting veggies is one of my favorite ways to eat them – it draws out a bit of the natural sweetness in the peppers and tones down the power of the onions making them caramelized and delicious. And it’s perfect for leftovers the next day for a “mom lunch”.
You can add any vegetables you like to the mix, like brussel sprouts or asparagus or cauliflower, and let them roast along with everything else. Chop up an eggplant! Toss in some chunks of butternut squash! This is a very adaptable dish and perfect for using up stray vegetables in the crisper before they start to turn. Just make sure when you are prepping the veggies and sausages that you chop everything to be about the same size so that it all cooks uniformly and makes it more enjoyable to eat.
And while you can use uncooked italian sausages and just crumble them over the vegetables and let them roast along with everything else, we really love the Aidell’s Chicken & Apple sausages in this because they are so delicious! It’s a fun and delicious change from the more traditional (and decided less healthy) spaghetti and meatballs. Especially when served with zucchini noodles and marinara sauce!
And since Aidell’s Chicken & Apple sausages happen to be Whole 30 compliant, this makes one of the most satisfying dinners I had during my Whole 30 experience. Which, satisfaction was a big worry of mine going into my first Whole 30 – whether I would feel constantly hungry and how that might affect my experience – but with a dish like this, that concern never turned out to be an issue for me. In fact, One Pan Roasted Onions, Peppers & Sausages is such a satisfying and yummy dinner, that it is something we have continued making long after reverting to our less-than-Whole-30-compliant ways.
- 2 large onions
- 3-4 yellow, orange, or red bell peppers
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 4 Aidell's Chicken & Apple Sausages, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the onions and peppers in even, bite-sized chunks. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat, then add garlic, salt & pepper, and sprinkle with seasoning. Toss again to coat everything evenly, then spread around the cookie sheet in an even layer.
- Roast the onions & peppers for 15 minutes in the oven, then remove and add the pre-cooked Aidell's sausage chunks around the pan. Return the pan to the oven for an additional 15 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to look roasted and caramelized around the edges.
- Serve with zucchini noodles or pasta and your favorite marinara sauce.
This can be made with uncooked Italian sausage if you prefer or have a hard time finding the Aidell's sausages. Just add the uncooked sausage at the start of the cooking process and roast the whole pan of ingredients for the full 30 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables soften and take on a roasted and caramelized look.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558 Saturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 60mg Sodium: 874mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 27g
Like what you see here? Be sure to sign up to join my mailing list so you don't miss out on more recipes like this one!