This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Sheet Pan Sausage, Peppers, & Onions is a healthy, versatile dinner that the whole family will love! And since it's a one-pan dinner, it makes a perfect weeknight meal when you don't want to stand over the stove cooking!
Looking for more low-carb, healthy options? Some of our favorites are Pan Seared Scallops, Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken with Vegetables, Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas in 30 Minutes, and Crispy Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Thighs.
This post was originally shared in August 2016, but has been updated with new photos and more helpful tips.
Roasting veggies is one of our favorite ways to eat them - it draws out a bit of the natural sweetness in the peppers and tones down the power of the onions making them caramelized and delicious. And it's perfect for leftovers the next day for lunch.
You can add any vegetables you like to the mix, like brussel sprouts or asparagus or cauliflower, and let them roast along with everything else. Chop up an eggplant! Toss in some chunks of butternut squash! The sky's the limit!
Why We Love This Recipe
- This is a very adaptable dish and perfect for using up stray vegetables in the crisper before they start to turn.
- It's delicious and satisfying, but it also just happens to be gluten-free, low-carb, and Whole30 compliant.
- You can serve it over pasta with your favorite marinara sauce or over zucchini noodles for a low-carb option. If you haven't tried zoodles before, give them a chance! We LOVE them.
- Sausages: We love the Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausages in this because they are so delicious! But you can also use uncooked sweet Italian sausages and either just place them on the baking sheet whole right at the start with all the veggies, or remove the casings and crumble the sausage meat over the vegetables. Either way they will roast along with everything else.
- Peppers: We use a rainbow of red, yellow, and orange bell peppers here because of their sweet flavor and fun colors, but green peppers or just one color will work just as well.
- Italian seasoning: This spice blend is just a mix of dried basil, rosemary, parsley, and oregano and it adds wonderful flavor to the veggies.
How to Make This Recipe
Start by removing the seeds and stems from the bell peppers and chopping them into bite-size pieces along with the onions. Scatter the veggies in a large baking sheet, then drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to season. If you are using uncooked sausage, this is the time to add it on top of the veggies to roast. Otherwise, go ahead and stick the pan in a preheated oven to bake.
When the veggies are halfway through cooking, remove the pan from the oven and give them a stir, then add sliced, precooked sausages (like Aidell's chicken & apple sausage) on top. Stick the pan back in the oven and cook until the veggies are tender and the sausages are hot all the way through.
- Make sure when you are prepping the veggies and sausages that you chop everything to be about the same size so that it all cooks uniformly and makes it more enjoyable to eat.
- Don't be afraid to change up the sausages and veggies. Aidell's and other brands make many delicious sausage varieties that we love and by changing up your protein and adding in other veggie choices likes mushrooms you can have a whole new dish.
- Line your pan with foil for easier cleanup afterwards.
More Great Dinner Recipes You'll Love
- The BEST Stuffed Peppers
- Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi-Mahi
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
One Pan Roasted Peppers, Onions, & Sausages
- 2 large onions
- 3-4 yellow orange, or red bell peppers
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 Aidell's Chicken & Apple Sausages chopped into bite-size pieces
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the onions and peppers in even, bite-sized chunks. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat, then add garlic, salt & pepper, and sprinkle with seasoning. Toss again to coat everything evenly, then spread around the cookie sheet in an even layer.
- Roast the onions & peppers for 15 minutes in the oven, then remove and add the pre-cooked Aidell's sausage chunks around the pan. Return the pan to the oven for an additional 15 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to look roasted and caramelized around the edges.
- Serve with zucchini noodles or pasta and your favorite marinara sauce.