This Orange Jello Salad is a retro throwback dessert that tastes like creamsicles in Jello form with a sweet, creamy topping and a sweet-tart layer of orange gelatin, mandarin oranges, and orange juice concentrate! Orange Jello Salad is one of our favorite summer treats (even though we eat it year round!) and everybody loves when you show up at a potluck or picnic or reunion carrying it!
Table of Contents
It's no secret that I love a good Jello. I mean, how can you resist these delicious, kitschy, vintage desserts! I've already posted about Lemon Pineapple Jello with Pineapple Whipped Cream Topping and my Triple Layer Christmas Jello Salad.
But today I'm coming at you with another fantastic Jello concoction that has been one of my favorite treats since I was a kid. It's this perfectly delightful Orange Jello Salad with Pudding Whipped Cream that is reminiscent of the creamsicles that were always in my grandparent's freezer, and summertime and potlucks!
Calling it a salad serves no other purpose that I'm aware of other than to justify serving this sweet, citrusy stuff at the same time as the rest of dinner. It's basically the only time I remember being allowed to eat dessert first if I wanted to as a kid.
Annnnnd as an adult. Just sayin'. The tart & tangy orange layer on the bottom is made with orange gelatin, orange juice concentrate, mandarin oranges, and some of the juice from the cans of mandarin oranges in place of some of the water called for on the package of Jello.
The top layer is a fluffy, dreamy pudding and whipped cream concoction that is sweet and light and pairs perfectly with the tart and tangy bottom layer. You can use vanilla or french vanilla pudding, but just make sure that it is the instant kind, not the cook and serve variety.
The whole thing is cool and refreshing and just the perfect treat year round, but especially in the summertime. And anyway, there's always room for Jello!
More Summer Potluck Recipes You'll Love
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Orange Jello Salad with Pudding Whipped Cream
- 1 (6 ounce) package orange Jell-O (or 2 small packages)
- 2 ½ cups boiling hot water
- 1 (6-ounce) container frozen orange juice concentrate (or ½ a larger 12 ounce container)
- 3 (11-ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained with juice reserved from 1 can
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup Cool Whip or sweetened whipped cream
- Dissolve the Jell-O in the hot water by stirring until crystals are no longer visible.
- Add the frozen orange juice concentrate and stir until completely melted. Add the juice from one of the cans of mandarin oranges, then stir in the oranges from all three cans.
- Pour into a large glass dish and transfer to the refrigerator to chill until completely set, about 4 hours.
- Combine the instant vanilla pudding mix and cold milk in a bowl and whisk well until it starts to set up, about 1-2 minutes. Note that this recipe does not use the same amount of milk as directed on the package of pudding. Fold in the Cool Whip or whipped cream, then spread over the top of the set Jell-O.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.