Creamy and super satisfying with crunchy bits of bacon, melted cheese, and tender shredded chicken in a ranch sauce, this Slow Cooker Crack Chicken is just the thing to serve your family on busy weeknights! It's a dump and go slow cooker recipe that you can start earlier in the day and have ready to pile on pretzel buns for sandwiches at night!
I love a good slow cooker recipe! If you like this slow cooker crack chicken, you'll also love our Slow Cooker Applesauce Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, Asian Pulled Pork Sliders, and Slow Cooker Beef and Noodles!
The slow cooker is a total life-saver for getting dinners ready and on the table. It's perfect for busy days, lazy days, or even when you’re in a dinner rut and needing a little break from prep work. We all hit those moments in life, right?
We use our slow cooker year round, but it definitely gets used most in the Fall when the weather starts cooling down and we all want something warm and comforting for dinner. This crack chicken definitely fits in the "warm and cozy" category and makes a fantastic dinner that our whole family enjoyed!
What is "crack chicken"?
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken is a delicious cream cheese, bacon, cheddar, ranch combo that always leaves you wishing you had more. It’s addictingly good and if you’re thinking to yourself that you've seen something with similar flavors on this blog before, you’d be right!
I did a variation of crack chicken earlier this summer on our smoker. This shredded, saucy slow cooker version is every bit as delicious as the other, but I really love the hands-off, no hassle feel of tossing together a delicious meal in the Crock Pot and then walking away till dinner time.
This recipe actually comes from Brandi over at Aunt Bee's Recipes. Once a quarter, I join with some of my blogging friends to do a good old-fashioned blog hop hosted by the marvelous Michaela from An Affair From the Heart. We call it Freaky Friday, and are each secretly assigned another blogger with the mission of recreating one of their recipes to share on our own blogs.
I LOVE Freaky Fridays and always look forward to seeing what everybody creates. Check out my other Freaky Friday recipes! Have I ever mentioned on here how much I love the food blogging community? They are so friendly, supportive, and encouraging and I've made some really great friends through these kinds of collaborative events.
This time around I was assigned Aunt Bee's Recipes, and like usual, it was difficult to choose just one recipe to share! Brandi has hundreds of delicious looking recipes that are all right up my alley. I was super tempted by the idea of these chicken fajita sliders and her southern fried cabbage (this one still needs to happen at our house). And for dessert, maybe this butterfinger poke cake?
You definitely need to check out her site if you are looking for more dinner inspiration!
How to Make Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Dump and go! Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker. They can be frozen or thawed! Sprinkle them with the ranch dressing mix and top them with the cubed cream cheese. Cover the lid and then cook on low for 6-8 hours or 3-4 hours on high.
- Shred and serve! When there are about 30 minutes left, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Stir in the mayonnaise and the cooked bacon. Sprinkle cheese over the top and then place the lid back over the pot and cook for the remaining 15-30 minutes or until the cheese had melted. Sprinkle some chopped green onions over the top and then serve this dish with crackers or on buns.
What cut of chicken should I use for crack chicken?
You can use any cut of chicken you like. We used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but thighs would be great too. They’ll turn out nice and tender!
Can I use already shredded chicken instead?
Yes, you could definitely make this recipe using leftover shredded rotisserie chicken, but you won't need to use the slow cooker. Instead, just toss all of the ingredients together in a baking dish and bake at 350F degrees until hot and bubbly.
Does cream cheese curdle in a slow cooker?
Exposure to high heat or long heat exposure will cause dairy to have a curdled appearance and texture. This is one of the biggest reasons people add it to the end of a creamy slow cooker soup recipe! But, in this recipe, although the cream cheese will look a little curdled during the cooking process, once tossed together with everything the appearance becomes better and the dish ends up creamy and delicious!
Looking for more incredible dinner ideas? Check these out!
- Crispy Coconut Shrimp
- Easy One Pan Green Beans, Chicken and Potatoes Dinner
- Pan Seared Lamb Loin Chops
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Juicy Grilled Turkey Burgers
- Chicken Pockets
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breasts about 2 pounds
- 1 package Ranch dressing mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pound bacon cooked until crispy, then crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions chopped
- Pretzel buns or crackers for serving
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Sprinkle with the ranch dressing and top with the cubed cream cheese. Cover with the lid and cook for 6-8 hours on LOW or for 3-4 hours on HIGH.
- When there are about 30 minutes left, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Stir in the mayonnaise and cooked bacon. Sprinkle with the cheese, then replace the lid and cook for the final 15-30 minutes until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and serve on buns or crackers.
From Aunt Bee's Recipes.
More Freaky Friday Recipes
- An Affair from the Heart – Instant Pot Chicken & Rice Soup
- An Affair from the Heart – Honey Corn Bread
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars
- Devour Dinner – Instant Pot French Onion Meatballs
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Turkey Cranberry Sliders
- Life Currents – Cheesy Shrimp Dip
- Life, Love & Good Food – Lemon Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Or Whatever You Do – Traeger Grilled Parmesan Halibut
- Sugar Dish Me – Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- Take Two Tapas – Pork Tenderloin Sliders
- The Foodie Affair – Easy Greek Style Cauliflower Rice Salad
- The Speckled Palate – Upside Down Cranberry Cake
- West Via Midwest – Hawaiian Pulled Pork (Kalua Pork Recipe)
Reader questions and reviews
I am so into my crock pot right now it's not even funny! Trying to find recipes that aren't soup or pot roast is top on my list since Connor wants something different. He loved this recipe so I am going to be making it at least once a week for the rest of my life!
This recipe has been on my "must make" list for a long while, and now I know exactly what I am making for game day tomorrow! They look magnificent! I adore pretzel rolls, and I think they made a great addition to this crack chicken recipe!
This is such a delicious recipe and great for a crowd. I have made this from Brandi's site multiple times. This is a keeper and so yummy to serve in a sandwich.
Whats not to love about this recipe!! I love the ease of a slow cooker recipe and the flavors. I am definitely making this one asap!
This is bound to be a hit with my family! I love that they are served on pretzel buns too!
Whoaaaaa. I could definitely get down with one of these for lunch! Or spooned onto potato chips. 😀
Wow! Love this recipe and am so making these for our family Christmas gift exchange this year. Thanks for the recipe share!
This chicken is seriously perfect! And I love that I can throw it into the slow cooker and let it do its thing all day without me needing to do much with it until it's just about serving time. The best kind of weeknight meal!
I'm so glad you liked this recipe! I can't believe I have never tried it with pretzel buns. What a GREAT IDEA! I LURVE pretzel buns lol
Pretzel Rolls and Crack Chicken, you have me drooling! I love a good Crock Pot Recipe, makes for an easy dinner.
This recipe was outstanding!!! Can't believe how good it was! Served on white hamburger buns. The mayo makes ALL the difference & is what makes this recipe stand out amongst the oodles of other crack chicken recipes out there. Crack chicken has always fell flat for me in the past but not anymore! Will be adding this to our regular rotation. Thank you for creating this delicious recipe!