This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Thank you Village Harvest for sponsoring this post. Every day Village Harvest is planting seeds of change and growing possibilities, one bag of goodness at a time.
Slow Cooker Spicy Steak, Rice, Lentils & Quinoa is a simple, easy post-workout recovery meal that is packed with protein, amazing flavor, and takes only minutes to throw together.
The beef slow cooks to tender perfection in the crockpot with spices like chipotle peppers, cumin & paprika and goes great with Village Harvest’s Organic Protein Blend of brown jasmine, lentils and red quinoa.
Then dinner gets topped off with melted cheese, fresh cilantro, sliced avocados, green onions and sour cream for a yummy, family friendly meal that even kids and husbands will love! Slow Cooker Spicy Steak, Rice, Lentils & Quinoa is one of the best recipes you will make in your slow cooker!
As a busy mom who tries to find balance by making exercise and fitness a priority while also soaking up all the summer fun I can with my two kids, it’s nice to have a good protein packed meal that can be made in the slow cooker so I can be out having fun at the pool or beach or park and getting in my regular workouts.
It’s so nice to come home after a day of fun and have dinner almost done thanks to the slow cooker and minimal planning and prep work earlier in the day! Especially a meal like this that is loaded with protein to help fill everybody up and aid with muscle recovery after a particularly intense gym session!
Slow Cooker Spicy Steak, Rice, Lentils & Quinoa is also a great weeknight meal to add to your dinner rotation with school starting in the next couple of weeks. (WHY SO SOON?!?!).
We are going to be trying to get our family back into our fall routines and having easy meals like this in my back pocket is a lifesaver during that adjustment period of new schedules and after-school activities.
If your local store doesn’t already carry the Village Harvest Organic Benefit Blends, you can get them online by clicking here or you can fill out this product request form and give it to them to encourage them to stock it for you.
There are three different varieties, each a unique mix of gluten free rice and nutritious grains – Organic Protein Blend, Organic Antioxidant Blend, and Organic Ancient Grain Blend – and each of them offer a distinctive combination of healthful goodness that make them perfect for feeding your family something that you can feel good about and that they will love.
Village Harvest sent me all of their Benefit Blends as part of this post, and I got to try them and see how versatile they are. They make a great base for many weeknight meals with some added veggies and a protein!
Not only do the Village Harvest Organic Benefit Blends taste wonderful, but I can really get behind them as a company because Village Harvest believes that social sustainability means more than just caring for our planet; it also means caring for the workers that help to bring whole, healthy grains to your door.
Because of that, Village Harvest has pledged 1% of their profits to run programs that give back to the farmers and local communities from which they source their products and they have also pledged to donate 1% of their employees’ time to charitable causes and sustainability efforts. I have a lot of respect and love for that kind of social responsibility.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
- Slow Cooker Applesauce Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- Kalua Pork (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot)
- Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork
- Slow Cooker Little Smokies in Honey Garlic BBQ Sauce
- Slow Cooker Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Asian Pulled Pork Sliders
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef Short Ribs (Kalbi)
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 16 ounce package Village Harvest Organic Protein Blend of Brown Jasmine, Lentils & Quinoa
- 4 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup Pepperjack or Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- chopped green onions
- Lime wedges
- sour cream
- Cut flank steak against the grain into thin strips and place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chipotle pepper, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix well. Pour over the flank steak, then cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, until the meat is cooked throughout and tender.
- When the meat is close to being done, combine the Village Harvest Organic Protein Blend brown jasmine, lentils and red quinoa with 4 3/4 cups water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20-22 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed, then remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- When the meat is cooked through and tender, add the cooked rice, lentils and quinoa to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top and cover. Heat for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted, then sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with sliced avocado, chopped green onions, lime wedges, and sour cream.
When adding the Village Harvest Organic Protein Blend in with the cooked flank steak, there might seem to be too much liquid, but the rice, lentils and quinoa will absorb the excess liquid, so don't drain any of it off.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 605mgCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 7g
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.