Slow Cooker Korean Beef Short Ribs (Kalbi) are literally falling-off-the-bone tender from a long, slow cooking process braising in a flavorful marinade that doubles as a fantastic slightly sweet and savory sauce that can be drizzled over the cooked short ribs and white rice.
We are big fans of ribs at our house and these slow cooker Korean beef short ribs (known as Kalbi in Korea) are some of the easiest, most delicious ones ever!
Slow Cooker Korean Beef Short Ribs
This is one of my favorite slow cooker recipes because unlike some where you need to saute vegetables or brown meat beforehand, with these slow cooker Korean beef short ribs you literally just throw everything in to the crock pot, turn it on and walk away.
Then when it's time to eat you have succulent, juicy meat that is melt-in-your-mouth delicious and packed with incredible Asian flavors.
What is the difference between short ribs and regular ribs?
Beef short ribs come from the plate cut, while spare ribs (also known as beef back ribs) come from the cow's rib section. Short ribs are typically braised or cooked in a slow cooker, while the longer spare ribs can be barbequed, roasted, braised or grilled.
How to make the sauce
I like to thicken the sauce just a bit with an easy slurry made with a little cornstarch and cold water, then serve that alongside the ribs and some white rice. And I would definitely recommend not skipping the garnishes of sliced green onions and sesame seeds, which add wonderful freshness, flavor, and texture to the final dish.
Having a fat separator will come in handy with the sauce because short ribs tend to have quite a lot of fat that cooks off during the long, slow braising process. But you could also just skim fat off the top with a spoon.
This recipe would also work with almost any meat, really, including chicken, other cuts of beef (brisket & flank steak, especially), or a pork roast. And it would go perfectly with stir-fried baby bok choy!
And if you love ribs, you might also want to check out these brown sugar & honey smoked baby back ribs.
More Slow Cooker Recipes For Busy Nights
- Slow Cooker Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Crock Pot Pork Green Chili
- Slow Cooker Asian Pulled Pork Sliders
- Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Slow Cooker Korean Beef Short Ribs (Kalbi)
- 4-6 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional or 2 tablespoons Gochujang
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2-3 green onions sliced on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces for garnish
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Arrange the short ribs in the bottom of a slow cooker, then sprinkle with the thinly sliced onion.
- Mix together the soy sauce, beef broth, rice vinegar, brown sugar, black pepper, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, then pour over the short ribs.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours.
- When almost ready to serve, whisk the cornstarch into the cold water and pour into the slow cooker, stirring to combine with the sauce and juices from the meat. Cover and cook another 20 minutes, until the liquid has thickened slightly.
- Remove the ribs from the slow cooker and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and green onions. Use a fat separator to remove the fat from the cooking liquid, then serve alongside white rice and the short ribs to be drizzled over the meat and rice.