Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Sandwiches are an easy and delicious slow cooker recipe that is perfect for busy weekdays or even Sunday dinner! Slow cooked beef with spicy pepperoncini peppers and Italian seasonings, gets shredded, then topped with cheese and served on crusty rolls for an satisfying family meal.
Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Sandwiches
We’re getting close to the start of a new school year and that means we are going to be getting used to schedules and busy days, afternoons, and evenings as we settle into our new routines. One way to ease the stress of this time of year is by having an easy dinner ready to go each day when we get home from gymnastics or piano or ice skating.
I love using my slow cooker and some of my favorite, easy meals with it are this spicy steak, rice, lentils, & quinoa, or this sauerkraut and sausages with apples. Today I’m sharing another great one that my family loves.
I first tried a version of these crock pot Mississippi pot roast sandwiches years ago when some friends had us over for dinner and made the pepperoncini beef sandwiches from Our Best Bites. I liked it so much that I started making it at home, but eventually discovered it was sort of a modified version of a popular, super simple roast recipe called a Mississippi pot roast.
Serve it with mashed potatoes and a vegetable, if you are making Sunday dinner, or shred it and pile it on buttered and toasted crusty rolls with some provolone cheese for a juicy weeknight sandwich.
It’s similar to my favorite french dip sandwiches (another great slow cooker recipe!), but different enough that it is totally worth trying both recipes. I can’t decide which one is my favorite between the two!
How to Make Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Sandwiches
A Mississippi pot roast is ridiculously simple – just dump a 3-lb chuck roast, italian dressing mix, au jus gravy mix, some jarred pepperoncini peppers with a little bit of their juice, and butter into the slow cooker in the morning and walk away. Then 6-8 hours later, you will have the tastiest, most tender pot roast that is so incredibly flavorful ready for dinner!
You can brown the roast in a pan with a little oil before putting it into the crock pot, if you have time. I think it makes the meat extra succulent and juicy. But really if you are pressed for time, you can skip this step and still get a wonderful roast. Honestly, I don’t even know if it really makes a difference or I just have convinced myself about it. But I keep doing it when I have the time because it just smells so amazing!
I did cut back on the butter a bit in this recipe compared to the traditional Mississippi pot roast recipes which call for a full stick of butter. I think 1/2 a stick of butter is plenty to give the shredded meat a wonderfully luxurious texture and richness, but if you want to go whole hog, by all means, double the amount included in the recipe below and go for the full stick!
Once the meat it cooked, it shreds easily with two forks. Just remove and discard any extra fat from the meat when shredding it.
Toast some buns or crusty rolls by buttering them and grilling them in a pan. It makes such a big difference! Then pile the shredded meat on top, and lay a slice of cheese over the meat. If you stick the sandwiches under the broiler, the cheese will be melted in less than 30 seconds! Serve with extra pepperoncini peppers on the side!
If you love slow cooker meals, I hope this will be as big of a winner in your house as it is in ours! And if you are looking for even more easy crock pot recipe inspiration, keep scrolling past the recipe for some other great crock pot dinner ideas from some of my favorite food blogging friends!
- 1 (3 lb.) beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (.7 oz.) packet dry Italian seasoning/salad dressing mix
- 1 packet dry au jus gravy mix
- 10-12 pepperoncini peppers, plus 1/2 cup juice from the jar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 ciabatta rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Season the roast with pepper (no need to salt it as there will be plenty of salt in the seasoning packets already). Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the oil. Brown the roast on all sides in the hot oil, then transfer to a large slow cooker. This step can be skipped, if you don't have time.
- Dump the packets of Italian seasoning and au jus gravy mix, along with the pepperoncini peppers, 1/2 cup of their juice, and the butter, right on top of the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 5-6 hours, until the beef shreds easily with a fork.
- Once the meat is shredded, butter and toast the buns, then spread with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Pile the shredded pot roast onto the bottom buns and top with a slice of Provolone cheese. Toast under a broiler just until the cheese is melted, then top with the remaining buns and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 572mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 1g Protein: 12g
Slow Cooker Weeknight Lasagna
Shredded Pork Chile Verde
BBQ Pulled Pork
Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Sandwiches
Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken
Low Carb Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Crock Pot French Dips
Slow Cooker Chicken & Veggie Soup
Crockpot Chicken Jambalaya
Slow Cooker Beef Tacos
Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
Spicy Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry