These BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwiches have a deliciously smoky flavor, made with tender leftover brisket meat, creamy and flavorful Provolone cheese, and crunchy coleslaw to finish! This is an easy dinner recipe the whole family is sure to devour!
Table of Contents
BBQ Brisket Sandwiches have a rich history, deeply embedded in traditional American cuisine. Originating from the wonderful culinary melting pot of New Orleans, these sandwiches combine the smoky flavor of BBQ brisket with the crunchy texture of coleslaw, all wrapped in soft hamburger buns.
Smoked Beef Brisket is one of our favorite recipes to make for family gatherings, but we love our Oven BBQ Beef Brisket almost just as well. Either one is great for using for these barbecue brisket sandwiches and a great way to repurpose leftovers!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Customize these sandwiches with your favorite fillings, or add additional seasonings and spices to flavor them how you like.
- This recipe can be made as quick and easy as you need it to be by using leftover beef brisket or some from the store, as well as using more or fewer toppings than suggested!
- Beef Brisket Sandwiches are one of the best sandwiches I've ever had, I know it'll become one of your favorite things too!
What You'll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Hamburger Buns - Use your favorite kind of burger bun here. We love our Homemade Brioche Hamburger Buns (they're easier to make than you think!)
- Beef Brisket - You can make Homemade Slow Roasted Oven BBQ Beef Brisket or do a Authentic Texas Barbecue Smoked Brisket, or use store-bought brisket, depending on how much time you have.
- Barbecue Sauce - Adds tons of flavor here. Use your favorite barbecue sauce from the grocery store, or try my Homemade Barbecue Sauce (Kansas Style)!
- Provolone Cheese Slices - Add a slightly sharp but creamy, melty goodness to your sandwich with slices of Provolone.
- Coleslaw - To add a refreshing crunch with some creaminess and tanginess to the sandwich. Try my Easy Homemade Coleslaw, or use your favorite brand from the store.
How to Make This Recipe
- Heat brisket and put on buns. Set the broiler to 500°F. Heat the brisket in a pan or in the microwave until hot. Layer the hot brisket over the bottom of the rolls.
- Add sauce and coleslaw. Add some BBQ sauce on top of the brisket. Top with your prepared coleslaw.
- Top with a cheesy roll top. Place the tops of the rolls upside down on a baking sheet. Place a slice of cheese on the roll, then place it under the broiler. Broil for 2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove. Place the tops back on the rolls and serve!
You can use all kinds of meat to make sandwiches. Try Crispy Chicken Sandwiches, Shrimp Po Boy Sandwiches, Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches with Roasted Beef, and these Juicy Bison Burgers for some variety! Or double up the meats. I have had some amazing beef brisket burgers where a grilled patty is piled with brisket on top and the combination is just incredible.
Absolutely! Add your favorite burger toppings here to make your own sandwich to your preference. Try sliced onions, red onions, Bacon Jam, Crispy Fried Onion Stings, or even my Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce for something a bit different!
If you have leftover Brisket Sandwiches, you can cover them with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator, but the buns will become soggy. It's best to store the ingredients separately, so try to only assemble the amount of burgers that will be eaten. The meat, cheese, and coleslaw may be stored in separate airtight containers or Ziploc bags in the refrigerator until ready to use, or up to 5 days. Reheat the brisket in a pan on medium heat or in the microwave until hot.
For longer storage, consider freezing the brisket for later. Wrap it well in aluminum foil and place it in a freezer-safe bag or container.
Tips for Success
- If you're making your own brisket, allow the meat to rest at room temperature before slicing into it. This ensures th
at the juices redistribute throughout the brisket, keeping it lovely and moist.
- Do not skip broiling the buns with cheese. This step adds a layer of melted goodness and prevents the buns from becoming soggy.
- Add flavor to your sandwiches by adding in some Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce, kosher salt, or even liquid smoke to the pan as the brisket cooks. If you're adding in flavors, it's best to heat through the brisket slowly, to give time for the flavors to deepen.
What can I Serve with Beef Brisket Sandwiches?
These juicy Brisket Sandwiches are great for lunches and family gatherings. If you're wanting to make this dish into a complete meal, serve it with some classic BBQ sides!
A simple green salad is a great traditional barbecue side dish too. Try my Olive Garden Copycat Salad with Dressing, Classic Bacon Broccoli Salad, or Grilled Corn Salad.
Substitutions and Variations
- Try other cheeses. Use some other cheeses to change the flavor Swiss cheese is a great alternative that melts well and complements the brisket’s flavors.
- Use any kind of bun. We love our Homemade Brioche Hamburger Buns but you can use store-bought buns or another kind of homemade bun.
- BBQ Sauce. Whether you’re a fan of Homemade Barbecue Sauce Kansas Style or have a store-bought favorite, both options work wonderfully. For a spicier kick, incorporate some chili powder or hot sauce.
- Add some spice. Add chili powder or your favorite hot sauce to your barbecue sauce for an extra kick.
- Additional Toppings: Elevate your sandwich by adding toppings like red onions, sliced onions, or Russian dressing, adjusting the flavor profile to suit your taste buds.
More Delicious Burger Recipes You’ll Love
- Soy-Glaze Mushroom Swiss Burgers
- Grilled Poblano Pepper Southwest Burgers
- Red, White, and Blueberry Bacon Burger with Basil Aioli
- All-American Burger with Crispy Onions and Burger Sauce
- Bacon Jam Burger
Chicken & Poultry
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Beef Brisket Sandwiches Recipe
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 cups beef brisket, sliced or shredded
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup coleslaw
- Set the broiler to 500°F.
- Heat the brisket in a pan or in the microwave until hot.
- Place the tops of the rolls upside down on a baking sheet. Place a slice of cheese on the roll, then place under the broiler. Broil for 2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove.
- Layer the hot brisket over the bottom of the rolls, add some BBQ sauce, then top with coleslaw.
- Place the tops back on the rolls and serve.
- Storage: Store the ingredients separately. The meat, cheese and coleslaw may be stored in the refrigerator until ready to use or up to 5 days.
- You can toast these in the oven, on the grill or in a pan on the stove.
- You can melt the cheese or serve without melting.