This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This easy Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwich recipe makes the most amazing savory sandwiches loaded with juicy shredded meat, melted provolone cheese, and pepperoncinis or giardiniera!
Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwich Recipe
I hear these Italian Beef Sandwiches are crazy-popular in Illinois, which is the next state in my trip around the U.S. in my American Eats series. It’s a project where I am making and sharing some of the favorite foods of each state, one state at a time! So even though I haven’t had a chance to visit yet, I decided to make these for dinner for my family and we loved them!
Italian Beef Sandwiches are like a flavorful twist on a French dip, with pepperoncini peppers and mixed seasonings giving so much depth and flavor to this dish you’re going to wish your slow cooker had a faster speed setting, especially when you smell it cooking.
If you have an Instant Pot, you’re in luck because the fast method is included below as well! Perfect for those of us that can’t wait!
Italian beef sandwiches are super easy and hardly take any effort on your part. Who doesn’t love that? Simply throw everything in your slow cooker and let it do its magic. Within 8-10 hours, you’ll have a delicious meaty sandwich in your hands.
Chicago Italian beef makes great leftovers too. With all of the Italian beef sandwiched between hoagie rolls, you have a very filling meal in your hands, literally.
The leftover meat can be used in other recipes, too, if you don’t want to eat sandwiches all week.
How to Make Italian Beef
- Add the Chuck roast to the bottom of the slow cooker and then sprinkle it with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, paprika, and red pepper flakes.
- Cover the roast with the sliced onions and half of the jar of the sliced pepperoncini peppers, then add in the reserved pepperoncini juice, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and then cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 5-6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter and toast the rolls in the oven or in a skillet.
- Shred the slow-cooked meat using two forks. It should easily fall apart.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the meat from the juices and then place it on one side of each roll. Top the meat with the remaining pepperoncini peppers, if desired, and giardiniera. You can purchase giardiniera at the store, or make your own with this giardiniera recipe that looks really good! Cover with slices of provolone cheese, and then place the sandwiches in the oven just until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
How to Make Italian Beef in The Instant Pot
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Sear the roast on each side for 5 to 6 minutes until browned.
- Add in the seasonings, onions, pepperoncini, reserved juice, broth, and Worcestershire sauce, then cover and seal with the lid. Be sure to check that the pressure release valve is set to closed.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook at HIGH pressure on manual mode for 55 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, do a quick release and remove the lid.
- Shred the meat and use to make sandwiches as instructed.
What Cut of Meat is Italian Beef Made From?
You can really use almost any cut of beef since this recipe is cooked for a long time at a low temperature. We typically use a beef chuck roast, but Italian beef can be made from a more tender cut of like a top or bottom cut of sirloin.
Can You Freeze Italian Beef?
If you have leftover Italian beef and don’t think you can use it up fast enough you can place it in an airtight container and keep it in your freezer. Just make sure that the meat has completely cooled before freezing. To use the frozen beef, simply thaw it in the fridge overnight and heat until safety temps have been reached.
What Side Dishes Go With an Italian Beef Sandwich?
And you can’t go wrong serving up Italian cream sodas to go with your sandwiches!
If you like beef recipes like this one, you should try these other beefy recipes:
- Slow Cooker Beef and Noodles
- Beef Tenderloin Roast
- Ground Beef Taco Meat
- Beef Kabob Marinade
- Korean Beef Tacos (Bulgogi)
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef Short Ribs
- Beef Steak Pie
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Chinese Beef with Broccoli
- Slow Roasted Oven BBQ Beef Brisket
- 4-6 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sliced pepperoncini peppers
- 1/3 cup of the pepperoncini juice, reserved
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8-10 sandwich rolls or hoagie buns, split, buttered and toasted
- 16-20 slices provolone cheese
- 1 jar Giardiniera
- Add the roast to the bottom of the slow cooker and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, paprika, and red pepper flakes.
- Cover with the sliced onions and half of the jar of sliced pepperoncini peppers, then add the reserved pepperoncini juice, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 5-6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter and toast the rolls in the oven or in a skillet.
- Shred the meat using two forks. It should easily fall apart.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the meat from the juices and place it on one side of each roll. Top with the remaining pepperoncini peppers, if desired, and giardiniera. Cover with slices of provolone cheese, then place in the oven just until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- Instant Pot Instructions: Set the Instant Pot to the saute mode. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, then sear the roast on each side for 5-6 minutes until browned. Add the seasonings, onions, pepperoncini, reserved juice, broth, and Worcestershire sauce, then cover and seal with the lid. Be sure the pressure release valve is set to closed. Set the Instant Pot to cook at HIGH pressure on manual mode for 55 minutes. When the Instant Pot is done cooking, do a quick release and remove the lid. Shred the meat and use to make sandwiches.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1043Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 265mgSodium: 1754mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 88g
Curious about foods from other states in my American Eats series? Check them out below!
Alabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Louisiana • Puerto Rico • South Carolina • Texas