This homemade Cannoli Dip recipe is an easy, no-bake dessert dip that's perfect for any occasion, from dinner parties to family gatherings at the holidays or just a cozy movie night! Topped with mini chocolate chips and served with waffle cone pieces and fresh fruit, it's like a cannoli in dip form!
Table of Contents
If you've never had authentic cannolis, then let me reassure you that this is the next best thing! When I lived in New Jersey I used to eat cannoli all the time because they were so delicious and pretty easy to find at bakeries.
It's harder to come by really good cannoli in California, so I have resorted to making them at home from scratch. Those are excellent too, but for sake of ease and satisfying my cannoli craving with a lot less effort, this cannoli dip recipe is a game-changer.
Whether you're a fan of the classic Italian cannoli dessert or just looking for a unique treat for game night or a pool party, this Cannoli Dip will surely become a favorite in no time. We love this easy dessert dip on movie nights, but it has come in handy during the holidays too.
It's the perfect sweet treat to add to your dessert table in a pinch and you can throw it together in about 10 minutes! I recommend refrigerating it for an hour to let everything meld, but you could honestly start enjoying it right away.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Add in extra flavor to suit your preference with zests or extracts!
- This easy recipe uses a handful of simple ingredients, but it has exceptional flavor.
- With only 10 minutes of prep time, it's the perfect addition to your dessert table!
What You'll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Ricotta Cheese - Use full-fat ricotta cheese for the best results in flavor and texture here, as this is the base of cannoli dip.
- Mascarpone Cheese - Not used in a traditional cannoli filling, but it adds a great nutty, buttery flavor to this dip so we love it!
- Powdered Sugar - Confectioner's sugar brings sweetness to this dip and mixes well with the cheeses.
- Vanilla Extract - Get it from your local grocery store or make my Homemade Vanilla Extract for a warming, sweet flavor.
- Cinnamon - Ground cinnamon adds a spicy warmth to this dip that's perfect for the holidays!
- Zest - Add in some optional fresh orange or lemon zest for an added burst of citrus.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Miniature chocolate chips will mix in more easily, but you can use larger chocolate chips if you prefer.
How to Make the Best Cannoli Dip Recipe
- Mix cheeses. Beat ricotta and mascarpone cheeses until creamy and smooth.
- Add sugar and vanilla. Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add chocolate chips and serve. Stir in ¾ cup mini chocolate chips. Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
As this is a sharing dip, it will probably be sitting on a dessert table for a while to give people a chance to try it! Bear in mind that with the dairy content here, the dip should be at room temperature for no longer than 2 hours. If you predict needing it out for longer, separate your batch into two bowls, keeping one in the fridge to rotate them after 2 hours.
Cover your plain cannoli dip in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Give it a good stir and add any toppings, like chocolate chips, just as you are about to serve it.
The ricotta cheese won't freeze well, so I'd recommend making it fresh for when you need it.
Tips for Success
- Use a mixing bowl and a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer to whip your ingredients together more easily than using a whisk.
- Keep your ingredients refrigerated until you're ready to mix the dip together.
How do I serve Cannoli Dip?
Serve this sweet dip with a variety of sweet treats for a snacking dessert everyone will love!
Try some of our favorite dippers:
- broken waffle cones or mini waffle cones
- fresh strawberries
- vanilla wafers
- Oreos, Biscoff Cookies, chocolate chip cookies, Pizzelle cookies, or butter waffle cookies
- Cannoli shells
- Graham Crackers
Substitutions and Variations
- Use sprinkles, milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, or even peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or caramel chips for a different flavor. It may not be traditional but this is your dip so why not?!
- Add lemon or orange zest as well as some freshly squeezed lemon juice or orange juice for more flavor.
- Use almond extract or peppermint extract instead of vanilla for a different flavor.
More Dessert Recipes You'll Love
- Small Batch Muddy Buddies
- Easy No-Bake Strawberry Tiramisu
- Easy Oreo Dessert
- Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Easy Cannoli Dip Recipe
For the Dip
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese, drained
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese (can substitute cream cheese)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest (optional)
- ¾ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- waffle cone pieces, strawberries, Nilla wafers, pizzelle cookies, butter waffle cookies, and Oreos
- Beat ricotta and mascarpone cheese until creamy and smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Stir in ¾ cup mini chocolate chips and the ground cinnamon. Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving, although technically you could enjoy this right away.
- Storage: Cover your plain cannoli dip in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, plain. Give it a good stir and add any toppings like chocolate chips just as you are about to serve it. Do not freeze.
- Mix-ins: Orange zest, alternative extracts, raspberry coulis, get creative!