So full of shredded chicken, chunks of avocado, bites of radish, and amazing lime and cilantro flavors, this super satisfying Chicken Avocado Lime Soup is one of my all-time favorites. Oh, and it’s Whole 30 compliant.
Chicken Avocado Lime Soup
Back when I was looking for recipes to make while doing my first Whole 30, I stumbled upon this amazing soup recipe that has become part of my tiny, but growing, repertoire of best soup recipes. The thing about this soup is that while you COULD add a bunch of mix-ins like tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese, there is absolutely zero need to do so. In fact, I honestly prefer it without the add-ins, which I tried when making this soup post-Whole 30. It’s just such an incredible, bright combo of lime juice that is perfectly balanced with the chicken broth, and there are so many textures and bites between the other (super healthy!) ingredients that you feel totally satisfied without all the not-as-good-for-you stuff.
Chicken avocado lime soup is chicken noodle-ish in the sense that it is a clear broth and has shredded chicken. But, you know, without any noodles. And with a bunch of other delicious ingredients that take the flavor of the broth in a whole other delicious direction. So I guess it’s not really chicken noodle-ish at all. But it sort of feels like it, you know? It’s got that comforting, familiar sensation that you get from a bowl of chicken noodle except this feels even healthier and like a revelation.
Also, I feel like it’s a really kid friendly soup because there are so many chunks of meat and avocado to scoop up. And the jalapenos don’t add heat as long as you make sure to remove the seeds, so no need to worry about kids rejecting the soup because of spiciness because it really isn’t spicy at all. Clara came home from her third day of Kindergarten requesting soup, so this is what I made for lunch and she gobbled up an entire bowl, licking her lips the whole time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 4 radishes, sliced into thin disks
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 medium avocados, peeled and diced
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the green onions and jalapeno and saute for 2 minutes, just until tender. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds more.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water, then add the chicken breasts, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, and coriander, and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Allow the soup to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the radishes.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle (about 5 minutes) shred with two forks or put it in the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer and use the beater to shred it quickly (such a great kitchen trick that I use whenever I need to shred meat!). Add the shredded chicken back into the soup, along with the lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Add the avocados just before serving the soup, or put about 1/2 cup of chopped avocado into each serving bowl before ladling soup over the top. You can also add crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, or shredded cheese, if you desire.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 62mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 2g Protein: 10g
If you try this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too! And if you’re on Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #houseofnasheats and tag me (@houseofnasheats) so I can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!!!
Like what you see here? Be sure to sign up to join my mailing list so you don't miss out on more recipes like this one!