This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Bisquick is a staple in many pantries but it's so easy to make your own! This Homemade Bisquick Mix is made with 4 ingredients in just 5 minutes and is also shelf-stable. This easy recipe is great to have on hand to make homemade pancakes, waffles, and biscuits! It makes breakfast and brunch so much easier in the mornings!
We love waking up to a home-cooked breakfast, especially at the weekend! For something hearty, healthy, and filling we like to start our day with Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Apples or our spicy Green Chili Egg Casserole, and then for something a little sweeter my Homemade Cinnamon Rolls are the absolute best! But for faster breakfasts, this bisquick mix definitely comes in handy!
Homemade Bisquick Baking Mix
I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll here sharing recipes for things I used to buy but now make at home like vanilla extract or hot chocolate mix. The truth is that I rarely use prepackaged or processed food anymore!
It's so easy to make your own food from scratch, and it's usually healthier and less wasteful with packaging too. Throwing together a batch of Homemade Bisquick Mix seemed like a no-brainer to me.
This recipe for homemade bisquick mix calls for 4 simple ingredients that you'll have in your pantry and just 5 minutes of your time. It's incredibly easy!
Plus, you can use it to make all kinds of food! Pancakes and cinnamon rolls for breakfast, biscuits as a side dish, cookies for dessert, and even sweet or savory pie crusts are just a few ideas that come to mind. Pre-making and storing this copycat bisquick mix makes measuring out recipes much quicker and easier, especially for busy holidays and weekends when you don't have a lot of spare time. The quicker you can get the food cooking, the quicker you can eat!
Once you've made the basic homemade bisquick dry mix, when it's time to cook you just add in other ingredients to make whatever recipe you want. Throw in a little garlic and cheese for some cheesy garlic biscuits, or maybe try some warm spices like ginger, cinnamon, cloves and allspice for gingerbread pancakes over the holidays. Really, the options are endless! I'll add a few more ideas below for some more bisquick baking inspiration!
Homemade Bisquick Ingredients
- All-purpose flour: Flour is the main ingredient and the bulk of this homemade bisquick mix recipe! It's an essential part of cooking all kinds of food with this mix: pancakes, biscuits, and cinnamon rolls, to name a few!
- Baking powder: Baking powder will help your dish rise while it's cooking. Without this ingredient, it will be pretty flat!
- Salt: For seasoning, I added just a little salt. That's all that's really needed here!
- Shortening: Shortening is my preferred fat for making homemade bisquick baking mix because it is shelf-stable, which means you can store the mix in an air-tight container in the pantry instead of the fridge. But you can use butter instead but store it in the fridge or freezer!
How do I make Homemade Bisquick Mix?
- Combine and pulse. Firstly, combine all of the ingredients in a large food processor and then pulse for about 15 seconds until the shortening is cut into the flour and evenly dispersed. You may need to work in batches using half of the ingredients at a time.
- Transfer and store. Finally, transfer the mix to an airtight container and use it in any recipe that calls for Bisquick in equal amounts. Can be stored at room temperature, or in the fridge or freezer for up to 6 months.
How do I store homemade bisquick baking mix?
Store this mix in an airtight container in a cool dark place like a pantry cupboard, or in the fridge or freezer. I have a large glass jar with a lid that is perfect for things like this. It will keep for up to 6 months.
Can I make homemade bisquick mix without shortening?
Yes! You can substitute the shortening 1:1 with butter, and it will taste equally delicious if not better. However, the main difference between the two ingredients is how you store them. Butter is not shelf-stable and will need to be kept in the fridge or freezer, and used up within 3 months.
What is this homemade mix used in?
You can use it 1:1 in any recipes that call for bisquick! Adding extra seasoning or spices can transform this recipe in so many different ways. Use it for:
- Pumpkin pancakes (add 1-2 tsp pumpkin spice mix)
- Gingerbread pancakes (add 1-2 tsp gingerbread spice mix)
- Banana pancakes
- Blueberry pancakes
- Cinnamon waffles (add 1-2 tsp of cinnamon)
- Garlic & cheese biscuits
- Bacon jalapeño cheese biscuits
Can you substitute all-purpose flour for bisquick?
Unfortunately, you can't just use flour in place of bisquick, which is why I put together this recipe! Luckily this homemade baking mix is really easy to make, and just a couple of steps and a few ingredients away from plain all-purpose flour.
What are the ingredients in Bisquick mix?
I was pretty shocked when I read the ingredients list on a box of bisquick. It's full of words that I can't pronounce and definitely made me want to come up with this healthy homemade bisquick mix. The ingredients in Bisquick Original are:
- bleached wheat flour (enriched with niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid)
- corn starch
- palm oil
- leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate)
- canola oil
- DATEM (known as diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono- and diglycerides, also called E472e)
- distilled monoglycerides.
I know, right? It's easy to see why I prefer homemade best.
What is the bisquick pancake recipe on the box?
If you want to make the classic pancake recipe from the box, it calls for 2 cups of my homemade bisquick mix, 1 cup of milk, and 2 eggs. Just mix those three ingredients together and pour onto a hot, buttered griddle and cook until you see bubbles on the top, then flip.
For their "ultimate" pancake version, you just add a few additional ingredients: 2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
What is the bisquick waffle recipe on the box?
If you want to make the classic bisquick waffle recipe from the box, it calls for 2 cups of my homemade bisquick mix, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1 and ½ cups of milk, and 1 egg. You just stir all of those ingredients together, then pour into your waffle maker and cook until golden brown.
How do you make bisquick biscuits on the box?
If you want to make bisquick biscuits, you just mix 2 ¼ cups of my homemade bisquick mix with ⅔ cup of milk. Drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, then bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes until golden brown on top and done.
More Pantry Staples Recipes Like This
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Classic Marinara Sauce
- Homemade Vanilla Extract
- Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Homemade Basil Pesto Recipe
- The Best No-Cook Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
Homemade Bisquick Mix
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- Combine all ingredients in a large food processor. Pulse for about 15 seconds until the shortening is cut into the flour and evenly dispersed. You may need to work in batches using half of the ingredients at a time.
- Transfer to an airtight container and use in any recipe that calls for Bisquick mix in equal amounts. Can be stored at room temperature, or in the fridge or freezer for up to 6 months.
- Bisquick mix with butter: You can replace the shortening with an equal amount of butter, but the mix will need to be stored in the fridge or freezer, not at room temperature. It also doesn't last quite as long and needs to be used within 3 months.