This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This post was created as in partnership with Imperial Sugar. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
This Strawberries and Cream Sheet Cake is so light and moist with a whipped cream strawberry cream cheese frosting that is the perfect compliment to the sweet fresh berry cake beneath. Find the FULL RECIPE on Imperial Sugar’s site.
Strawberries and Cream Sheet Cake
The other day I was craving strawberry cake, but I wanted something really simple and light. So instead of making a layer cake, I decided to bake one in a rectangular pan and frost it with a whipped cream frosting instead of buttercream.
Even though I enjoy creating tall, decorated layer cakes, sometimes I’m just in the mood for something simple, easy, and sweet. Enter the humble sheet cake that is typically either baked in a jelly roll pan or just a 9×13″ rectangular baking pan.
It’s so unpretentious being just one layer with the frosting spread on top that it’s not nearly as intimidating for beginning bakers or someone without a whole lot of time on their hands for making sure layers are level and frosting is neat and tidy.
I also make my strawberry shortcake this way, and I have a one-bowl chocolate cake recipe that uses the same approach. Growing up, I remember way more cakes like this than the stacked ones that seem more popular today.
Whipped Cream Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
I can whip up the batter for this cake in less than 10 minutes and it takes almost no time to slather on a the light and fluffy whipped cream cream cheese strawberry frosting which tastes absolutely divine.
I knew I wanted a frosting that wouldn’t overpower the subtle play of strawberries and cream by being overly sweet. But I also wanted something more than just whipped cream piled on top of the cake.
Using fresh strawberries and cream cheese mixed with some sweetened whipped cream made for the most fabulously light and fluffy frosting that my whole family was groaning over how good the cake tasted. I think I’m going to try this same frosting on a batch of brownies next!
How to make strawberries and cream sheet cake
- Beat butter, oil, and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl. Add eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Next add flour, powdered strawberry gelatin, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Add the buttermilk, mixing and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Stir in finely diced strawberries.
- Pour into a 9×13″ baking dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Make the frosting by beating the softened cream cheese and strawberries in a bowl until combined.
- Beat the whipped cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks start to form, then add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the strawberry cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream, then add the remaining strawberry cream cheese and fold just until combined.
- Frost the cooled cake with the frosting and decorate with additional strawberries.
The FULL RECIPE is on my partner Imperial Sugar’s site, so click through to make this fabulous cake! Each month we collaborate to bring a great recipe to you using their wonderful products, and you can see all of them over on their site!
More cake recipes you’ll want to try
- Pineapple Sponge Cake
- Homemade German Chocolate Cake
- No-Bake Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake
- Lemon Cupcakes
- Key Lime Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cake
- Homemade Funfetti Cake
- Cranberry Coconut Cake
Be sure to click over to Imperial Sugar’s site to get the FULL RECIPE.