Rich and moist Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread turns summer's prolific vegetable into a chocolate chip studded cake or brownie-like quick bread that your whole family will go crazy over! Perfect for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or even as dessert with a cold glass of milk, Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a delicious and fun way to eat your veggies!
Last year I posted my favorite zucchini bread that is more traditional and loaded with chopped walnuts. But this year I want to share with you Paul's favorite zucchini bread.
Which is, of course, double chocolate zucchini bread and it is studded with chocolate chips with a delicious, crackly top made by sprinkling a little sugar over each loaf before baking them in the oven.
This recipe can be halved to make only 1 loaf, but I find that there is always so much zucchini I don't know what to do with it during the summer. And one loaf goes ridiculously fast at our house.
Besides, your friends and neighbors will love you for sharing a loaf of this bread with them!
So let's just keep it real and admit we are always going to want two loaves of this double chocolate zucchini bread, hence the recipe being written in the measurements I always use rather than forcing er'body to do math each time they make this.
If you find you aren't going through your zucchini bread as fast as you anticipated, it freezes beautifully and I included instructions in the recipe notes on how to do that.
Anybody who has had chocolate zucchini bread really knows it's more like chocolate cake or even brownies than a true quick bread.
In fact, you could totally bake this in cupcake liners in a muffin tin for about 18-20 minutes and frost them with chocolate frosting and most likely the people you give them too would be none the wiser that they were loaded with vegetables.
We ate this bread for breakfast. And for a snack. And for dessert. Possibly all on the same day, although I will neither confirm nor deny that. My girls are still requesting slices of this yummy bread on a daily basis and that's after having already made three batches this summer!
Tips for Making Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- No need to peel the zucchini. Just grate it using the large holes of a box grater. And you can totally use the giant zucchini if you have them and save your tender, smaller zucchini for other things.
- My recipe calls for unsweetened chocolate to be chopped and melted. You can sub 1 cup of cocoa powder instead of the 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate and not worry about adjusting fat ratios for this recipe as there is enough moisture and fat content with the zucchini and oil already to make up for the difference. I just prefer unsweetened chocolate because I felt like cocoa powder leaves a bit of an aftertaste with this bread that you don't get with unsweetened chocolate. Maybe it's just me.
- Like all quick breads, don't overmix the batter. When adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, just stir everything together enough to get rid of streaks of flour, then stop.
More Zucchini Recipes for a Surplus of Zucchini!
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Zucchini Noodles (aka Zoodles)
- Zucchini Bread with Walnuts
- Zucchini Salad
- Zucchini Brownies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Pancakes
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 3 cups zucchini grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Prepare two 8x4-inch bread pans by lining them with a parchment paper sling or greasing and flouring the bottom and sides of the pans. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the chopped unsweetened chocolate by placing it in a small microwave-safe bowl and melting it in short 20 second bursts in the microwave, stirring between each burst of heat. It should only take about 1 minute to 1 minute 20 seconds to completely melt the chocolate. Set aside.
- Wash and grate the zucchini, leaving the skin on. Because zucchini can vary greatly in size, you may need two small zucchini or one large zucchini or only part of a gigantic zucchini. If you have way too much zucchini to deal with, you can always grate it and freeze in 2 cup amounts in freezer-safe ziploc bags for future use. Set grated zucchini aside.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs for 1 minute, then add the granulated sugar, reserving 2 teaspoons for topping the bread, along with the brown sugar, oil, melted chocolate, and vanilla and beat well until totally combined. Stir in the zucchini.
- Mix in the dry ingredients just until combined, then stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter evenly into the two prepared bread pans. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar over the top of each loaf before baking. Alternatively, you could sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips over the loaves before baking, but I like the bit of crunch the sugar gives.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan before removing and slicing.
Reader questions and reviews
Nice idea with the combination of chocolate and zucchini. I love the moisture the zucchini delivers to the bread. And delicious too.
I love the abundance of fresh zucchini in the summer, and making a double chocolate zucchini bread is probably one of the main reasons 😉 . Yours look beautiful and delicious, so chocolatey and moist, speckled with the green of the zucchini and a nice crackled top.
I love zucchini bread and chocolate. Put them together and it's a delicious combination! I can't wait to try your recipe. My hubby is going to love it!
This dark chocolate dessert looks amazing! Thanks for the tips on the cocoa, I might try that.
This looks like a really tasty and moist zucchini bread! Love the addition of chocolate too. Because, well, chocolate!
Hiding veggies in DOUBLE chocolate is pure genius! Positively delicious!
I made this recipe for an afternoon tea before mass last night. WOW!!!
It disappeared within minutes.
Such a hit!
I'll definitely be making it again.
Do you think it would work with some white chocolate chips?
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm sure it would be wonderful with white chocolate chips!
I made this for the April quick breads challenge. My kids loved it, we all loved it! Great recipe to use up leftover zucchini in the fridge! Thanks Amy for another wonderful recipe!
I made this for the April challenge and we all loved it! Don’t skip the sugar topping, so delicious!!