This easy, juicy Bruschetta Chicken is a delicious chicken dinner the whole family will love made with ripe tomatoes, minced garlic, basil leaves, fresh mozzarella cheese, and a tangy balsamic glaze. This healthy but comforting dish is bursting with flavor and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Table of Contents
If crunchy, juicy Italian bruschetta is one of your favorite appetizers, then you are going to love this easy bruschetta chicken recipe. It's perfect for quick, busy weeknight dinners, but it looks good enough to serve at a dinner party for special occasions too!
Bruschetta is a classic Italian appetizer that's traditionally served on slices of crusty bread. It's pronounced "broo-sketta," not "broo-schetta." In Italian, the 'ch' letters are pronounced like a 'k,' but this is frequently mispronounced in the United States. Now you know!
We love it so much that we also frequently make Trader Joe's Lentil Bruschetta Feta Dip and this One Pot Bruschetta Chicken Pasta as a way of getting our bruschetta fix of the strong garlic, basil, and tomato flavors.
But this easy bruschetta chicken recipe is possibly my favorite version of all. Rather than serving up our bruschetta mixture of chopped tomatoes, garlic, and basil on bread, we're piling it on top of juicy, pan-seared chicken breasts. Not only does it taste incredible, but it also makes it perfect for a low carb diet.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Customize this recipe with other herbs or a bit of spice with some red pepper flakes to suit your preference.
- Made with simple and fresh ingredients that you can get from local grocery stores or markets!
- Quick and easy, this is a great recipe for busy weeknights!
What You'll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Chicken - Fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are best for this recipe, although you could swap them for another protein like pork chops or even a firm white fish like tilapia.
- Oil - I tend to use olive oil to cook the chicken in for the best flavor, but you can use canola oil, or another oil with a high smoke point if you prefer.
- Seasoning - Freshly minced garlic cloves, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper are all it takes for this chicken to be succulent and delicious!
- Tomatoes - Fresh and ripe Roma tomatoes (also known as plum tomatoes) are best for this recipe.
- Lemon - Use a fresh lemon that you can juice yourself for the best flavor.
- Onion - A red onion will add a sweet, savory, and tangy flavor that blends well with everything else.
- Seasoning - A freshly minced garlic clove, fresh basil leaves, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper work together for a fresh and peppery flavor in the bruschetta.
- Cheese - Use a block of Mozzarella cheese that you can slice yourself.
- Balsamic glaze - Adds a sweet but acidic flavor that goes so well with Roma tomatoes. This is thicker than regular balsamic vinegar, which can also be used instead.
How to Make Bruschetta Chicken
- Make bruschetta topping. Combine bruschetta ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Prepare and season chicken. Rub chicken with two tablespoons of olive oil and all of the minced garlic. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on all sides.
- Heat oil. Heat the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken. When the pan is hot, place chicken breasts into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 165°F when tested with a digital meat thermometer . Remove from pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add mozzarella and bruschetta mix. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese, if desired, then spoon a generous amount of the bruschetta mixture over the top of each serving. You can skip the mozzarella cheese, but it adds a wonderful flavor and texture element that we love.
- Add glaze. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze and serve immediately.
Bruschetta Chicken is basically the classic Italian Bruschetta but made on a chicken breast instead of a slice of crusty bread. It works so well as a dinner main dish, or even as an appetizer if you make it with smaller pieces of chicken.
The bruschetta mix is best enjoyed fresh, but you can store cooked chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can store the bruschetta mix in the refrigerator in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 2 days if you need to.
Tips for Success
- Ripe tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes are the star of the show in any bruschetta recipe, so you want to make sure they’re at the peak of ripeness. You can use cherry tomatoes or any kind of tomatoes on the vine. Just make sure that whichever tomatoes you find are actually fresh and full of flavor, not the sad, watery ones that have a pale color at the store.
- Flatten chicken. Flatten the chicken breasts with a meat mallet to ensure it cooks evenly. This will also help the toppings to stay on top of the chicken and not fall off!
How to Serve Bruschetta Chicken
Full of fresh and summery flavors, you can enjoy this healthy meal with a variety of sides, from salads to veggies, and pasta! Serve bruschetta chicken as part of a full dinner spread with veggies like Green Beans with Bacon and Pine Nuts, Italian Peas, Fluffy Mashed Potatoes, or Creamed Peas and Potatoes. You can also serve this chicken dish with a side salad for a lighter summery dinner!
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use this bruschetta topping for chicken that has been grilled or baked, whether it is a chicken breast, chicken thigh, or drumstick!
- Add some veggies into the pan to cook with the chicken. Asparagus, green beans, and mushrooms would all work well.
- Slice the chicken into strips and serve one or two of them with the toppings as an appetizer with Homemade Mozzarella Sticks at a dinner party!
- Shred the chicken and enjoy it with the bruschetta topping in wraps with leafy greens!
More Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Apple Cider Chicken Skillet
- Huli Huli Chicken
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Marry Me Chicken
- Japanese Chicken Curry
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Easy Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ small red onion
- 8-12 large basil leaves, chiffonaded
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 small chicken breasts or 2 large chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, optional
- Balsamic glaze
- Combine bruschetta ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Rub chicken with two tablespoons of olive oil and all of the minced garlic. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on all sides.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the seasoned chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 165°F when tested with a digital meat thermometer. Remove from pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese, if desired, then spoon a generous amount of the bruschetta mixture over the top of each serving.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve immediately.
- Storage: The bruschetta mix is best enjoyed fresh, but you can store cooked chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can store the bruschetta mix in the refrigerator in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 2 days if you need to.