This post is sponsored in conjunction with PumpkinWeek. I received products from generous Pumpkin Week sponsor companies. However all opinions are mine alone.
Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce are the perfect weeknight meal idea to celebrate the fall season by incorporating pumpkin into your dinner routine.
Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce
Every fall when pumpkin season rolls around, I find myself gravitating toward using it primarily for baking desserts. But it’s so great in savory dishes as well, which is why I have been trying to use pumpkin to make dinner at least a few times each Fall like last year’s cheesy tortellini and chicken pumpkin alfredo bake. It’s also fun to serve something pumpkin-centered on Halloween night before the kids go out trick-or-treating so they get something good in their bellies before filling up on candy!
This year I decided to use real pumpkin puree to make a creamy, wonderful pumpkin enchilada sauce. It’s richer than a typical enchilada sauce, with a little maple syrup and cinnamon for warmth along with the more traditional enchilada seasonings for a cozy Fall feel. It made some mighty delicious chicken enchiladas, especially after I topped the rolled tortillas with plenty of Cabot Pepper Jack cheese on top!
While I often use Monterey Jack cheese when making enchiladas because it melts so beautifully, I love the extra kick from the spices in Pepper Jack and think they go especially well with the pumpkin flavor in this dish.
Chicken enchiladas are one of my go-to weeknight dinner options because they are so easy to make that you hardly need a recipe once you have the sauce. I like to change up my fillings, sometimes adding in a can of black beans or using corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas, so they are always a little different.
And they are a great way of using up leftover cooked chicken from other dinners. Any time I can repurpose leftovers into a totally new meal makes me happy because it means less work and my family doesn’t feel like they are eating the same thing night after night. I will even grab a rotisserie chicken when I’m at the store to use for enchiladas as an easy time-saver for busy nights.
I think enchiladas taste best when they get a hit of fresh, crisp green onions and chopped cilantro on top to brighten them up. Slice some creamy avocado and serve with sour cream on the side and you’ve got a Fall dinner that your whole family will enjoy!
How to make Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce
- Make the pumpkin enchilada sauce by first mincing garlic and jalapeno, then pulsing them in a food processor with a bunch of spices, pumpkin puree, chicken broth and greek yogurt for a creamy, wonderfully unique enchilada sauce.
- Shred some pre-cooked chicken and add it to a large bowl with sauteed onions, peppers, some of the shredded Pepper Jack cheese, and diced green chili peppers. Stir to combine.
- Fill warm flour or corn tortillas with the chicken filling and place them seam side down in an oven-safe dish with one cup of the pumpkin enchilada sauce spread on the bottom. Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the remaining shredded Pepper Jack cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are hot all the way through. Top with chopped cilantro, diced green chilies, and sliced avocado.
If you want more pumpkin recipe inspiration (who wouldn’t?!) and a chance to win one of three fantastic prize packages from Pumpkin Week sponsors, keep scrolling past the recipe!
Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and stems removed, then finely diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups grated pepperjack cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Make the sauce by pulsing the jalapeno and garlic in a food processor or blender to mince, then adding the remaining sauce ingredients and processing to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Season with a little salt and pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the green chilies during the last minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the sauteed onions and peppers with the cooked, shredded chicken and 1/2 cup of the pepperjack cheese. Season with a little salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well.
- Warm the tortillas for 45 seconds in the microwave until warm and pliable, then fill each tortilla with chicken mixture and roll them up. Spread 1 cup of the pumpkin enchilada sauce in the bottom of a large rectangular baking dish, then place the rolled tortillas in the sauce, seam side down. Cover with the remaining sauce and cheese, then bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are hot.
- Sprinkle with the green onions, chopped cilantro, and avocado, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384 Saturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 920mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 21g
Here are today’s #PumpkinWeek recipes:
Caramel Pumpkin Spice Latte from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Cold Brew Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte from The Nifty Foodie
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Apple Cider from The Crumby Kitchen
The Great Pumpkin Cocktail from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Creamy Pumpkin Risotto from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Harvest Pumpkin Soup from Everyday Eileen
Pumpkin & Sausage Pizza from Hardly A Goddess
Pumpkin Carbonara with Fried Sage from The Redhead Baker
Pumpkin Chili from The Chef Next Door
Pumpkin Gnocchi from Platter Talk
Pumpkin Quiche from Jonesin’ For Taste
Stuffed Pumpkin from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Taiwanese Pumpkin Rice Noodles from Caroline’s Cooking
Baked Goods & Desserts:
Chai Frosted Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies from Who Needs A Cape?
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Skillet Cookie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Chocolate Pumpkin Dump Cake from For the Love of Food
Chocolate Swirled Pumpkin Cheesecake from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Classic Pumpkin Roll from Cookaholic Wife
Glazed Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones from Family Around the Table
Homemade Pumpkin Pancakes from Tip Garden
Make-Ahead Pumpkin-Chai Egg Bites from Wholistic Woman
No Bake Pumpkin Cookies from Seduction In The Kitchen
Pumpkin Cake Pops from The Beard and The Baker
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Pumpkin Cookie Bars from Eat Move Make
Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Pumpkin Noodle Kugel from The Spiffy Cookie
Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Sweet Beginnings
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups from It Bakes Me Happy
Pumpkin Pecan Pie Layer Cake from Love and Confections
Pumpkin Pie Ebelskiver from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Pumpkin Pie Pull Apart Muffins from Daily Dish Recipes
Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from The Mandatory Mooch
Pumpkin Spice Latte Whoopie Pies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Pumpkin Spice Pancakes from April Golightly
Pumpkin Spice Popovers from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Simple Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes from Cooking with Carlee
Welcome to #PumpkinWeek 2018 hosted by Love and Confections and A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! This year is even bigger and better than ever with a giveaway! Thirty nine bloggers from around the country are showcasing their best pumpkin dishes. Get ready for Fall with over 130 pumpkin recipes throughout the week including cocktails, main courses, pizzas, pastas, pastries, breads, muffins, and plenty of desserts! Our PumpkinWeek Sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much, Sponsors, for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and we’d love if you would take a moment to read about it and what you can win!
Prize #1 Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a 6-Quart Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer.
Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. For generations, Dixie Crystals has been at the heart of family traditions and celebrations. Our pure cane, non-GMO sugar products guarantee that treasured family recipes will turn out right every time. Bake with love and Dixie Crystals.
Prize #2 Cabot Creamery Co-operative is giving one winner a Cheese Gift Box, including a selection of Seriously Sharp, Pepper Jack, Sharp Light, Extra Sharp, Horseradish, Private Stock, Vintage Choice, and Sharp cheeses, VT Sharp Cracker Cuts, Burlap & Plaid Bag, Thick & Thin Slicer, and Wooden Cutting Board
Cabot Creamery Co-operative, makers of naturally aged, award-winning cheeses and dairy products is owned by 1,000 dairy farm families in New England and New York.
Eggland’s Best eggs have more of the delicious, farm fresh taste you and your family love – anyway you cook them. Plus, Eggland’s Best provides superior nutrition such as 6x more vitamin D, 10x more vitamin E, and double the omega 3s compared to ordinary eggs so why settle for less?
Disclaimer: Thank you PumpkinWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, and Eggland’s Best for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for PumpkinWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The PumpkinWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Three (3) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The PumpkinWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the PumpkinWeek posts or entry.