Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats are perfect for a summer picnic and are such a fun activity to involve your kiddos in. Just add some freeze-dried strawberries and you will have a fruity spin on your classic childhood treat.
Table of Contents
Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats are not only great in the summertime, but because this recipe is made with dried strawberries, they would be perfect any time of the year without having to worry about finding the perfect in-season strawberries. They would make a great Valentine's Day dessert, birthday party, or just because.
This recipe is really so simple and needs only one extra ingredient and that is freeze-dried strawberries. You are probably familiar with all the other ingredients if you dug into these gooey and crunchy treats as a kid. If not, that's okay too!
It starts with an ooey-gooey melted marshmallow sauce that is so basic to make and somehow turns out to be insanely delicious. Then this is added to the classic Rice Krispies cereal and mixed together, pressed into a pan, and cut into squares. Just add freeze-dried strawberries to the mix and you have these deliciously fruity rice krispies treats.
Strawberries are such a delicious and colorful fruit to stock up on when they are in season and add to any treat throughout the year. Some of our favorite strawberry recipes are Strawberry Scones, Strawberries and Cream Sheet Cake, and these Strawberry Whoopie Pies.
- Freeze dried strawberries: I have seen these all over from target to my local safeway, but Trader Joe's is usually where I end up grabbing my freeze-dried fruit. It's great to have on hand and makes a tasty, crunchy snack all on its own!
- Butter: I like to use salted butter because even rice krispies treats need a little salt to balance out the sweet.
- Mini marshmallows: Any brand works great, just grab the mini ones for easy melting. It definitely makes a difference if they aren't fresh though so be sure they are soft.
- Rice Krispies cereal: The good ol' fashioned kind that takes you back to childhood.
Pro Tip: Hang on to your butter wrapper for pressing the rice krispies treats into the pan. It won't stick to the mixture like your hands or even a spatula or spoon will.
How to Make Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats
- Blend the strawberries. Use a food processor or blender to crush the freeze dried strawberries into a powder. This can also be done by an with a ziploc bag and a rolling pin.
- Melt the marshmallows. In a large heavy duty pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Don't throw away the wrapper - set it aside for the last step. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add 1 and ½ bags of marshmallows to the melted butter. Stir until the marshmallows are melted.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add rice krispies, crushed strawberry powder, and remaining ½ bag of marshmallows.
- Combine with the Rice Krispies. Stir to combine, then pour into the prepared pan. Use the buttered side of the butter wrapper to gently press the rice krispies treats down, but take care not to compact them too much.
- Serve & Enjoy! Cut into squares and serve.
Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats FAQ
These will keep for a day or two in an airtight container or individually wrapped in plastic wrap. You should be able to stack them. They might get a little stuck together, but you can usually pull them apart pretty well.
Yes! Try these with other freeze-dried fruits for more flavor variations. Raspberries, blueberries, or peaches would all be fun to try!
You can store strawberry rice krispies in a freezer-safe and sealed container and freeze for up to 2 months. When you're ready for a treat, just pull it out of the freezer and bring to room temperature. They aren't as good as fresh, but it works.
More Delicious Treats Like These!
- S'mores Bars
- Oatmeal Fudge Bars
- Rocky Mountain Avalanche Bars
- Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispies Treats
- Butterscotch Peanut Butter Wheaties Treats
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats
- 1.2 ounces freeze dried strawberries
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- 20 ounces mini marshmallows, divided
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Butter or spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large heavy duty pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Don't throw away the wrapper - set it aside for the last step.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add 1 and ½ bags of marshmallows to the melted buter. Stir until the marshmallows are melted.
- Add rice krispies, crushed strawberry powder, and remaining ½ bag of marshmallows. Stir to combine, then pour into the prepared pan. Use the buttered side of the butter wrapper to gently press the rice krispies treats down, but take care not to compact them too much.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Storage: These will keep for a day or two in an airtight container or individually wrapped in plastic wrap.
- Variations: Try these with other freeze dried fruits for more flavor variations. Raspberries, blueberries, or peaches would all be fun to try!