This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Gooey, and irresistible Mississippi Mud Brownies are loaded with marshmallows, coconut, pecans and fudge frosting. Stop what you are doing and go make these now!
When it comes to sweet treats, and especially brownies, I like them crazy and over the top like the Easy Caramel Pecan Brownies that I have posted about before.
But I have to admit that if I was to choose an all-time favorite chocolate dessert, these Mississippi Mud Brownies are the ultimate for me.
They are loaded with pecans and coconut in the most perfect, decadent chocolate brownie and then topped with mini marshmallows, more chopped pecans, and a soft, gooey fudge frosting. They are so rich and wonderful and they will make you famous with all of your friends and co-workers if you make them for them.
And for good reason – they are absolutely over the top wonderful in all the right ways.
The batter itself is fudgy and rich thanks to the four eggs that go into it.
Getting brownie batter just right is really a matter of having a good ratio of eggs to butter to flour.
Too much flour and they turn out cakey.
Too few eggs and they just aren’t rich and fudgy enough.
But what really makes this brownie batter special, in my opinion, is adding just enough coconut for a chewier brownie than you might be used to.
The texture is just so surprisingly perfect without it being all “coconutty” for people who aren’t into that.
And the chopped pecans in the batter give the extra bit of richness and crunch that I just can’t resist in baked goods.
I don’t think it’s fair to call these “Mississippi Mud Brownies” without the pecans – then they would just be more of a marshmallow brownie. Wonderful, no doubt, but not a dessert of the Mississippi Mud variety.
And since pecans are southern and Mississippi is in the South, it only makes sense, doesn’t it?
These are guaranteed to vanish at any bake sale, potluck, or dessert table at a party or gathering. Which is probably when you will want to make them because they are impossible to resist when they are sitting on your kitchen counter. I mean, just look at the swirls or frosting and marshmallow on this pan full of yumminess!
More Brownies & Bars Recipes You’ll Love
- Fudgy Frosted Chocolate Mint Brownies
- S’mores Bars
- Best Fudgy Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Ultimate Butterfinger Brownies
- Thick, Fudgy, Chewy, Ultimate Brownies
- Easy Caramel Pecan Brownies
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped and divided
- 1/2 bag miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with a parchment paper sling or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light. Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, coconut, and 1 cup of the chopped pecans and stir to combine.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick or sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the brownies are baking, mix all of the frosting ingredients together and beat until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and Immediately top with the marshmallows. Wait 5 minutes, then sprinkle remaining chopped pecans on top.
- To frost, scoop dollops of frosting over the soft marshmallows while the brownies are still hot and then gently spread or nudge the dollops of frosting around to touch each other. It won't be perfect because the soft marshmallows make it tricky to truly "frost" the brownies, but it will be okay if marshmallow pokes through in places. Frosting these brownies while they are still warm helps because the frosting will melt just a bit and make for extra gooey yumminess.
- Cool, then cut into squares and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 70mg Sodium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 51g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 40g Protein: 3g