Two slice-and-bake homemade chocolate cookies sandwiched around a rich, delicious nutella filling make these Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies as much fun to make as they are to eat! Perfect with a glass of milk!
Santa is going to be very pleased when he climbs down the chimney to find these Double Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies waiting for him! Because everybody knows that Nutella is pretty much Santa's favorite spread, right?
The great thing about this recipe is that you don't have to roll out the dough and cut out individual circles for each cookie sandwich.
Instead, just like with the toffee pecan shortbread cookies I shared earlier in Cookie Week, with these double chocolate nutella sandwich cookies you just shape the dough into a compact log and chill it wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for an hour. Once it is nice and firm it is just a matter of slicing and baking!
No messy counter, cookie cutters, or rolling pin to wash and the cookies turn out perfectly uniform every time so you don't have to worry about pairing up mismatched cookie sizes.
But if you have nut allergies or just prefer something different, these would also be delicious with just a chocolate buttercream piped between the centers.
Either way, these are definitely my husband's (err, I mean Santa's) kind of cookie.
More Recipes Perfect for a Nutella Fix
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought with a comment and rating below. You can also take a picture and tag me on Instagram @houseofnasheats or share it on the Pinterest pin so I can see.
Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large separate bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add the flour/cocoa powder mixture on low speed until combined.
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into a log about 9 inches long and 1 ½ inches in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from the refrigerator and slice into ¼-inch thick slices with a sharp knife (I find a non-serrated knife works best). Place on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until cookies are set. Transfer baked cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Assemble cookies by spreading about 1-2 teaspoons of nutella on the underside of one cookie, then topping it with another cookie, creating a cookie sandwich. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the nutella to firm up.