This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Halloween Chocolate Blossom Sprinkle Cookies are a fun, easy cookie to make! Made with Hershey’s Hugs, instead of Kisses, little helpers will love rolling the balls of chocolate cookie dough in Halloween-themed sprinkles and pressing the candies into the warm cookies!
Halloween Chocolate Blossom Sprinkle Cookies
Baking around holidays is one of my favorite family traditions. Around Halloween we make these dark chocolate Halloween chip cookies or chocolate cut-out sugar cookies. But I wanted to try some new options this year for #HalloweenTreatsWeek, especially since Sweets & Treats Boutique sent me some of their Dragon Dreams sprinkles mix to try out. So I created these Halloween chocolate blossom sprinkle cookies!
Every Christmas our family makes peanut butter blossoms and the girls enjoy helping by rolling balls of cookie dough in sugar and pressing unwrapped Hershey’s Kisses into the warm cookies right after they come out of the oven. So I thought it would be fun to do a Halloween version this year and make chocolate blossom sprinkle cookies with a base chocolate instead of peanut butter and a sprinkle coating on the outside instead of sugar!
I also picked up Hershey’s Hugs since the stripes seemed Halloweeny to me (I guess it makes me think of the stripes on witches socks?) and I thought they would be pretty visually on top of the dark cookies with sprinkles around the edges. Plus, I just think they are yummy and would be great on a chocolate cookie!
How to Make Chocolate Sprinkle Blossom Cookies
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy before adding the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt slowly, mixing until the dough is combined.
- Scoop out small amounts of the dough and roll into balls between your palms before rolling in a bowl of sprinkles. You can do a solid color, a seasonal mix, or almost any type of sprinkle like jimmies or nonpareils. The only type of sprinkle I would probably avoid for these cookies is colored sanding sugar, which doesn’t show up well against the dark cookie dough.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes at 350 degrees F, then place unwrapped Hershey’s Hugs (or Kisses if you prefer) in the center of each cookie while still warm. The candy will melt, but hold it’s shape and eventually firm up again once the cookie has completely cooled.
Looking for more Halloween Recipe Inspiration?
Keep scrolling past the recipe for these chocolate blossom sprinkle cookies for loads more Halloween Treat Ideas! There is also a giveaway from the #HalloweenTreatsWeek sponsors that you can enter with 5 fun prize packages! Be sure to check it out!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sprinkles
- 30 Hershey's hugs, unwrapped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, then set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla, beating again until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the flour, cocoa, and salt, beating on low speed just until combined.
Place the sprinkles in a small bowl. Scoop a tablespoon of dough and shape it into a ball with your hands, then roll it in the sprinkles to coat, repeating until all of the dough has been used. Space the balls 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined baking sheets, then bake for 9 to 10 minutes.
Once the cookies come out of the oven, press a white chocolate hug (or a chocolate kiss, if you prefer) into the center of each cookie. The chocolate will melt but eventually reharden while maintaining the shape of the candy. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Pumpkin Patch Graveyard Eclair from Big Bear’s Wife
- Pumpkin Empanadas from Pook’s Pantry
- Malted Milk Ball Spider Cookies from Pastry Chef Online
- Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes from Mrs Happy Homemaker
- Purple Velvet Halloween Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Eyeball Jello Shots from I am a Honey Bee
- Monster Fudge from 4 Sons R Us
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Blender Mom
- Vampire Ice Cream Floats from Daily Dish Recipes
- Graveyard Pie from Eat Move Make
- Easy Skeleton Cake Pops from Pint Sized Baker
- Swiss Meringue Spooky Skull from Kudos Kitchen
- Candy Corn Cheesecake Mousse from The Spiffy Cookie
- Melting Witch Candy Popcorn Halloween Party Mix from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Dragon’s Eggs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Graveyard Dip from Mildly Meandering
- Eyeball Cake Balls from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- White Chocolate Ghost Cupcakes from The Beard and The Baker
- Rice Krispie Haunted House from Savory Experiments
- Halloween Snack Mix from Katie’s Cucina
- Monster Rice Krispies from For the Love of Food
Happy Halloween! We hope you’re ready for a spooktacular event as we celebrate Halloween with the first annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This haunting week-long event is filled with fantastic Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For our very first #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 100 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Like what you see here? Be sure to sign up to join my mailing list so you don't miss out on more recipes like this one!